Turkey vultures

I’ve been seeing a lot of them around here lately. They’re dark birds about the size of turkeys with a featherless red head. I learned about them when I did my geography project. They’re found over most of the United States. They’re actually impressive birds , I see big groups of them feeding. I wouldn’t have any idea what they are but I did a project about the ones in the Mojave desert and learned to recognize them. They’re actually pretty cool to see.

5 Likes

Yeah, I use to notice them a lot when I was psychotic I think. I haven’t really noticed them much this year, but then again, I don’t go outside that much in the winter.

1 Like

We have a lot of turkey vultures in the area where I live. Sometimes I see them sitting on top of the streetlights, especially on sunny days. They perch with their wings partially spread out – maybe that’s to warm up or to air out their feathers? :thinking: Sometimes there’s a whole bunch of them, one per streetlight, along a stretch of road.

Photo via Google:

1 Like
1 Like

2 Likes

Interior Alaska doesn’t have turkey vultures but we have eagles and ravens aplenty. If you ever have a pickup truck here and leave your garbage bags in the bed, the ravens tear them to shreds and leave a huge mess looking for food. Ravens are incredibly smart. Then there are the ptarmigans…they are so stupid that you can almost catch them by hand cuz they think that if they just sit under a bush then they can’t be seen. It’s funny, you can hunt ptarmigan for food, but ravens are protected.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.