Trying clozapine

I’m starting clozapine this week, I had my blood taken yesterday and as soon as the lab comes back then the pharmacy will fill my med. I’m very nervous about this, the partial hospital doc who’s initiating it said it’s a very good med and most people don’t have bad side effects but I’m still worried.

Also, worried about the lab, how long it’ll take for results to get back and how to coordinate that.

Any experiences, tips?

Thanks

1 Like

It can be quite constipating. You might want to pick up a decaf coffee habit.

1 Like

That’s my next med if this 800 seroquel (max allowed dose) + lamictal doesn’t work out.

Drink a ton of water. A ton. And get plenty of natural fiber and caffeine. I’ve had massive body dehydration and constipation as @naturallycured mentioned from Seroquel, so if it has a similar side effect that’s my advice.

2 Likes

Also, APs tend to deplete vital minerals so you might want a good multivitamin. That mineral loss might be responsible for the notorious low white blood cell issue clozapine has.

4 Likes

I’m good with clozapine. I gained some weight and I drool at night. Otherwise no bad side effects. The bloodwork is sometimes a bit tiresome but eventually it gets down to once a month. I take it with a mood stabilizer and antidepressant.

2 Likes

Clozapine is the best :crab::crab::crab:

2 Likes

Just to give different perspective. I was on clozapine for a year. I slept most of the time upwards of about 15 hours a day. I drooled. My mood was ok on it during waking hours. Constant blood work. Its worth a shot. It can be really helpful for some people although know about different side effects could help you make an informed decision about commencing treatment.

2 Likes

Hi falcon09, i am on clozaril for the last 12 years, it has been a game changer for me, i had tried all the other ap but none of them worked, A few side effect i will mention, !. weight gain, 2.Drooling at night, 3. sedation 4. Bloods taken every 4 weeks Overall it has been amazing for me! I want to wish you all the best! sean

2 Likes

I’m on clozapine as well, it is a very good med. Your blood work should be done the same day that it’s taken. Get ready for drooling and drowsy feeling. It is also a good idea to get some miralax just in case you get constipation.

2 Likes

the lab told me 3-4 days for some reason! ridiculous IMO

I’ve been taking it for a year now.
Blood tests are tiresome but not a big problem. No side effects except drooling

1 Like

I’m taking it - hasn’t been a miracle drug I still hear voices and have ideations people are watching me, I’ve gained weight and the blood draws are annoying, however it desensitizes the Impact of the voices and makes it more tangible…

1 Like

What dose are you taking? :snowman::snowman::snowman:

200 mg 56$-;+;__’+±-

I think the max daily dose is 900mg. Maybe you could try a higher dose. :crocodile::crocodile::crocodile:

1 Like

my doc told me most patients he puts on the drug stay between 300-400mg but sometimes you have to go higher.

1 Like

I take 500mg all at bedtime

2 Likes

I take 200mg in the morning and 300mg at night. :tiger::tiger::tiger:

1 Like

I take 500 mgs, 200 at morning and 300 at night. I drool and I experience constipation. Don’t worry about the blood work, because if it messes your blood up they will ketch it early on; before it gets bad. Sorry fatmama, I meant to respond to falcon009.

1 Like

ok my labs came back this morning and the nurse faxed them to the Clozapine REMS people. Takes up to 48 hours to process and then I can get my med :smiley:

1 Like