Traumatic experiences - PTSD

I think I have PTSD from an experience that I had when I was younger. I get really bad anxiety. It’s not that I think about it all the time but I just have anxiety in general. Sometimes when I’m reminded of it I feel so anxious feelings of shame and sadness. I was wondering if maybe other people on this forum also have PTSD or had a traumatic experience when they were younger before becoming psychotic.

1 Like

No question about it. Anxiety is a part of my illness and it relates to a number of events in the past. In fact the addition of prazosin one of the first drugs for PTSD has also helped the schizophrenia greatly.

2 Likes

I have cPTSD since I was 11.

2 Likes

I don’t know about PTSD but for sure anxiety, it worsens every aspect of this illness.

3 Likes

I had PTSD 15 yrs ago from watching gore films that some sociopath wanted me to see it. It was horrible experience that changed my way of being. I remember I lost joy of life then, I needed a lot of years to recover…

1 Like

I know some shrinks like mine specialize in such things. Might pay to seek out one with the relevant experience.

1 Like

My pdoc gave me a referral to two different therapists that specialize in anxiety and that kind of stuff. Unfortunately it’s way too expensive and they don’t take insurance. My mother makes good money and would pay for it but I feel like a burden. She already pays for my pdoc and my college classes books etc.

1 Like

Yeah that is a tough system. Might not be now but keep it in mind and see what you can do. Your circumstances could change so never give up and see what is available that is achievable.

I forget often that in America I had some good health insurance in a bottom level job. Out in Australia my shrink still just bills the government for my visits. I don’t pay anything. A much more humane system.

1 Like

I’ve had PTSD since I was 15. From the trauma of my violent mother’s rage. I was at school one day and I ran out of the highschool screaming I’m the f’in lizard queen. And then to add insult to injury I got locked up like a criminal, because the school officer thought I was a threat to the school. Basically everyone saw the whole thing and they all remember me through that incident. Ugh! I’ve since been on the road to recovery and so far so good.

1 Like

Yeah it’s 250 for an hour or 190 for 45 min for the therapist. My pdoc costs 250 every time I see him and doesn’t take insurance he also charges for phone calls and 100 for each prescription he fills outside of appointments! It’s so expensive my mom puts aside money for it and says she doesn’t care but I do. I’d rather she didn’t have to spend that money. When I got an email back from the shrink saying how much she charges I decided not to get an appointment. If I were to see her regularly it could add up to A LOT. At least my pdoc is good and I think he’s worth the money. You are lucky the Australian government pays for all your stuff. When I turn 26 I won’t be able to be on my mother’s insurance anymore. If don’t have a job with insurance then I’d be paying out of pocket for all of my healthcare! I wish healthcare was free here. I don’t know if it would work though America is already in a ton of debt.

I faced a near death experience and got PTSD

it took about 10 years until the cortisol stopped rushing up from my kidneys

I think I’m better today, but still having panic attacks

I take 4 anti anxiety pills a day.

1 Like

I am a victim of child abuse. I won’t go into deep details, but I was beaten and abused by my classmates and my teachers, who were suppossed to protect me from the kids.
I didn’t know why I was beaten all the time. It’s so overwhelming and it appears in my dreams. I feel pain of the teachers hitting me, and it is very vivid. I have flashbacks of the kids bullying me, and the teachers constantly yelling and punishing me.
I was diagnosed with PTSD when I was only 14. I started having hallucinations when I was about 15-16 years old, so I had schizophrenia from a young age.
A child shouldn’t go through such terrible cruelty. I hope that my teachers were kind to the kids they taught after I graduated.

1 Like

I found my mother’s body at home after she killed herself. I still get flashbacks to that and seeing her dead in a hospital bed.

1 Like

trigger warning: sexual abuse

Yes, I have PTSD from sexual abuse as a teenager. A lot of my psychosis is based off of sex and attraction, because that’s what my trauma is from. My first break was fueled by sexual delusions that my husband wanted everyone but me, that strangers wanted to r*** me, and stuff like that. I think trauma can easily start or fuel psychosis.

1 Like

My ptsd was caused by my psychosis but if you suspect you have it I highly recommend starting therapy for it it can be immensely helpful!!

1 Like

What anti anxiety pills do you take is it a benzodiazepine? I take Lyrica 50 mg 2x daily for my anxiety

I want to start therapy I’m just trying to find a good therapist thats not too expensive which is hard

I’m so sorry that’s horrible :frowning:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.