Traumatic brain injury

I was hit by a truck. I had a traumatic brain injury, 8 years ago. I had an inflamation on the speech area of the brain so i had aphasia during 2 days (trouble speaking) but docters treated me. It was a serious injury. Could be related to sz. Do you have traumatic brain injury history?

3 Likes

I’ve had minor concussions from sports. Also had a car accident where my head went through the side window (probably a minor concussions from that)
Maybe it contributed to illness or maybe not I don’t know

3 Likes

I’ve never had a TBI, and I don’t think it’s related to sz.

I believe @ninjastar has had a TBI, so maybe she’ll be able give you some information.

2 Likes

Yes. I had a closed head injury in 2010. Plus in 2008 I developed an autoimmune disease that attacks my brain. I have brain lesions.

2 Likes

Yeah, I have a TBI from being thrown into a brick wall. I had to go to speech therapy and vestibular therapy.

TBI is a risk factor for sz.

3 Likes

Good question. You may have suffered a traumatic brain injury (TBI), and could possess a post-traumatic encephalopathy. However, the symptoms of schizophrenia are very different, and a psychiatrist should be very adept at distinguishing one from the other. It is possible to have both with the TBI complicating the schizophrenia. Neuropsychological testing may be the way to sort out.

Is it not a risk factor for psychosis?

Both, I believe. Definitely a risk factor for sz, though.

2 Likes

Yes, like that one says. It is a risk factor specifically for sz.

1 Like

I had a concussion when I was 1 yr old. I was in a car accident. Maybe that contributed to my illness. But my mom has schizophrenia and my sister has bipolar 1, so that’s the biggest factor- genetics.

1 Like

My sister is bipolar. I have genetic predisposition. TBI is an addictional factor. So, tcharam!

1 Like

I fell off the front of a galloping horse and landed on my head and lost consciousness as a teen.

I never thought it might be related to sz

I threw my head back on the driveway when I was four years old and knocked myself unconscious. My biological dad had schizophrenia so maybe it was the combination.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.