Tomorrow it's decided if i get my disability

I’m going to an interview with a doctor, nurses, social workers. Afterwards they decide if they will grant me disability or if i have to take a job (sheltered job).

On one hand I dont think it’s realistic for me to work anymore, on the other hand, I would love to be able to work.

I’m confused.

I think i have to be objective, realistic and hope for disability (but in the back of my head, i hope they don’t grant me disability, but instead demands i take a sheltered job)

4 Likes

But as far as I know we (in our contry) are still allowed to work even if we are granted disability, wouldn’t that be an option for you? In a sheltered work of course.

2 Likes

Good luck, hope it works out for you. For me I was put in a mental health facility for 5 months when I was fist diagnosed, at the end they just told me they are putting me on disability, they didn’t even ask if I wanted it. I had to answer a few questions but the nurses, doctors and social workers did all the work. A month after I was discharged I got my first disability payment. I didn’t even know disability was a thing back then because all this stuff was new to me, but it was such a relief to get it at the time. If you can get disability and you are capable of working part time, you should have enough money to live a comfortable life if you budget well. All the best!

I don’t know what country you guys are talking about, but I live in Ontario, Canada and I can work while being on disability. That is what I am doing now. But I have to report my earnings at the end of the month and they deduct a certain amount from my disability based on how much I earned.

If I work even 1 hour I automatically get a $100 bonus on my disability check, I guess it is to encourage working if you can. I’m allowed to make up to $200/month without any loss to my disability. After $200 they deduct half of what you made from your disability.

So for example if I make $500/month working, the first $200 is “written off”. That leaves $300. So they would deduct half that, or $150 from my next disability check. Plus I would get the $100 bonus for working. I think it is a fair system.

2 Likes

thanks @Headspark and @anon8091425 - yes here in Denmark you are allowed to work even if you are on disability, and i hope i have the strength to do that too.

Im not that worried about my economy, you can make a living of a disability here in Denmark, but i need a job to se other people /colleges, that i don’t chose myself.

2 Likes

You weren’t really clear on whether or not you actually wanted to get disability, but I wish you good luck on getting what you want out of the decision.

1 Like

@Bowens on one hand i want disability, on the other hand i still want to work, so yes im not clear on what i acutally want, but thanks for wishing me good luck.

Sometimes i feel like disability is the end of things, but it might as well be the beginning.

3 Likes

Good luck tomorrow. And I think you’re right, this could be the beginning of something good, something better. Conventional work ethic is just internalised slave mentality.

2 Likes

Thanks @NotSeksoEmpirico . Yes it opens a lot of opportunities. But i don’t know if i got the strength to grasp them.

Perhaps you are pushing it a little to far (internalised slavery mentality) …

But I think i know what you mean: If you can’t work you shouldn’t punish yourself for not living up to the ethics.

I like to work simply because it feels good to achieve something, even if it’s a small thing. I like to meet people (colleges) i don’t choose to meet

2 Likes

Yes, the willingness to meet people can be an ordeal for the likes of us.

1 Like

was it approved??

1 Like

Yes, I got my disability without any questions. I hope it is the beginning of something new instead of the beginning of the end

3 Likes

Congrats @bluebutterfly

1 Like

Sometimes I wish I could go on disability and just skate everyday living with parents

If you are young and there is an opportunity for you to work, I will advise you not to go on disability now, perhaps later.

Im 52. If i had received disability when i was 25 i think it might have been a disaster, it would have stopped me from getting an education and it would have stopped my personal development.

2 Likes

I can understand that. It just feels so tough after SZ

1 Like

Good luck for tomorrow

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.