Tired of feeling dumb and numb

I feel more stupid and have no joy with anything since getting Sz. I don’t know if it’s the sz, the medication, or a combination of both, but I’m just sick of it. I wish I could go back to the old me. I use to have fun and I was a reasonably smart guy. No more. Anyone else feel like this?

3 Likes

I have something similar. Yes, I am not very happy and honestly can’t attract friends—much less a girlfriend. I thought of posting about frustrstions today but you beat me to it. I don’t feel very smart or creative in my mind either…I used to love talking to people before this sickness but I have been sick for over 13 years…worrying about Coronvirus is breaking me down too.

1 Like

It’s hard and it can be the negatives which feed things like depression. It’s all too common and sometimes you have to try and fight it. For me I spent years in limbo just getting by. I wish I’d had more drive and desire for improvement because although I do well socially I spent a lot of time just existing.

A few years ago I bought a fitness tracker to get fitter. Started just walking so much per day as a goal. It really helps. I’m fitter now at 50 than I was at diagnosis at 30. It can make a big difference but if not your cup of tea then goal setting. If your not happy with life then work towards a goal. It helps keep focus and it’s important to have a drive to do something…

Whether that is sport, exercise, a hobby, something creative… Find something that gives you some satisfaction.

3 Likes

I got a lot better the first few years after I got sick. I don’t feel emotionally flat or anything, I get happy on a pretty regular basis. I’m about to start trying to go back to school or dating. The corona virus is the only real complication. So it’s definitely possible to recover, at least to a point. I definitely felt the way you feel for the first two or three years after my first break.

3 Likes

IDK. It’s hard to feel stuff sometimes I feel numb a lot too. But I still feel good when someone likes me. I enjoy eating. I even felt life in me a few weeks ago. I enjoy the feeling of the sun on my back and a nice breeze. I enjoy nature. I’m 59 but I still get a thrill from women. I don’t get sex, but a smile or a little attention or a little cleavage is exciting. I feel satisfaction at a job well done.

I have fun conversating, I hope it lasts. I feel love from my sisters. These are things I feel. I would like to feel full of life or bigger than life but I never felt that way even before schizophrenia. I feel my own version of happiness. I don’t show a lot of feelings maybe but they are there, maybe not all the time or often enough but I can’t have everything. I’ve never been a hateful person but man, I get really tired of as*holes lately and I have to really watch myself so I don’t get hateful.

5 Likes

That is great 77nick77 that you are keeping yourself from being hateful…that can be a big accomplishment in itself this day and age…maybe it always has been…not sure.

2 Likes

I’m tired of not feeling like doing things. It’s tough I just don’t feel like pushing myself either right now. I really don’t. So I’m not going to.
I will give myself some more time to do nothing.

1 Like

Its good to have hope and faith that things will get better someday. I figure new meds like evanimide or we will increase iq by 20 pts in some.

1 Like

You just need to assume that you need to try 3x harder.

2 Likes

I feel stupid too sometimes…

1 Like

It’s funny because I was just thinking that I need to do something to become smarter and I came on this forum and found this thread. I think feelings of dullness are a big problem with SZ and can be exaggerated by long term use of AP’s. I do think that regular exercise is one of the things you could use to give your brain a boost. Also it’s never to late to do some learning. You could read frequently or even start learning a language that interests you. Don’t feel hopeless but also don’t be too hard on yourself.

2 Likes

I also feel more stupid and I think it’s the medication. Dopamine plays a significant role in the “reward system” used in learning and antipsychotics (AP’s) block dopamine receptors. There is also perhaps some degree of the condition playing a role, but I feel the medication is a central factor. I was personally never that gifted academically, I was a C or D grade student, (aside from my GCSE’s where I got 2 B’s), but do feel less intelligent after years of treatment.

3 Likes

I’m tired of feeling stupid too. I’ve made lots of stupid mistakes throughout my life that I regret.

1 Like

You don’t use it, you lose it!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.