Tips for fighting delusions

for people who have overcome delusions, is there something you guys do to reinforce reality? I’m having issues with delusions today and I need some advice. I was thinking of watching the news so that I have a structural framework for the world around me, but that isn’t going to be enough. So what do you guys do when you’re feeling delusional besides take meds?

1 Like

Great question! I’m working on this too. I’ve had hallucinations and delusions while taking meds since 2008. So awful. But I finally know I have sz. I’m still paranoid and struggling but I’m getting better. It’s hard to ignore though, isn’t it?!

1 Like

For me this was a big part of it…but I will try to help anyway.

I don’t generally have delusions anymore, but when I try to step down too far on meds I do get a bit of paranoia.

Maybe try stepping back and questioning your delusions? Stop and think if their is a more logical/mundane reason for the things you believe are happening. I would say to always be questioning any beliefs that do not fall in line with what others view as reality.

Sorry, I can’t help much other than that. I don’t get delusions anymore, so I don’t have the recent experience that some members may have.

1 Like

yeah it is. I think I have SZ too. You can’t be this illogical and not be sick. Some part of me thinks that my delusions are all true and that I’m dreaming all of this, but if that were the case I probably would have died by now so I don’t think the world cares about my delusions. What is kind of disheartening is that I used to pride myself on being a unique and individual thinker, but now I have to just say that everyone else’s interpretation of reality is correct like @Bowens said. And yeah, I think a logical reality is a lot less scary then an illogical reality. I’m doing better with certain things today, like I don’t think the host on the news is watching me, so that is good. But other things I still struggle with, like songs being directed to me and thought broadcasting and stuff. You say to be logical and I will try that, it is just that a big part of me feels like there is something important that i’m not understanding.

For instance, I got gaslit by my mom’s boyfriend really hard last year. He told me that the helicopters that flew over our neighborhood were dropping chemicals that make people fall asleep and said that we were living in a hologram. IDK if that is true, but weird stuff like that happens to me all the time and I struggle to stay in reality because of it. Maybe everyone is lying, maybe a couple people, but I don’t know why they would lie and that bothers me.

1 Like

Your moms boyfriend is sick. I’m sorry for your struggles.

1 Like

When i notice im having strange and illogical, delusional thoughts, i try to not give them any credit. I tend to lean towards actually fostering my delusions more and egging them on in a way. I think this is because life feels meaningless for me a lot and delusions tend to make it seem more spectacular, when not scary. But now i can rationalise most times i get a delusion and come out of it. And try not to make the delusions stronger. As boring as it is, its better to not be delusional.

2 Likes

When I have delusional thoughts first pop up, I ask myself “is this real?”, “what is the likelihood of this really happening?”, and, of course, “can this maybe not be real?”. Of course, these work better before the delusion becomes all-encompassing…I know that if I let a delusion goes too far, I’ll need more help from others since I’ll be believing they’re true no matter which questions I ask

2 Likes

that’s really good. my therapist says something similar. he makes me look at things from the “sane” point of view and then give justification and reasons why the sane point of view is correct vs the delusional point of view. stuff like that helps me see things from a more reasonable perspective.

1 Like

The activity of your positive symptoms rises and falls with your stress level. Managing your stress is a fundamental component of managing positive symptoms. Be mindful of when you’re getting wound up and have whatever grounding exercises or escapes you need to come back down at the ready.

This alone will create a profound difference for many.

2 Likes