Thought broadcasting

Why does it seem so real when I’m positive it isn’t. Anyone every get over this?

1 Like

I would say to my mom for example ‘I’m hearing that you are thinking this’

She would answer no I’m not and I would trust her word.

That’s one of the ways that I tackled it.

3 Likes

That’s what I do too! I usually believe her but she’s at work so couldn’t check in … Thanks man :pray:t5:

1 Like

I’m one of the worst about thought broadcasting. I piss people off. It’s strange, it’s all based on nonverbal messages. I’ve been doing this a long time, and nobody has said a thing about it.

You piss them off because of how you behave due to the delusion… or your actual thoughts are pissing them off ?

When it feels real, which isn’t always, sometimes the delusion takes over, it’s because your thoughts and emotions are displayed to some extent in your mannerism, tone of voice, so on and so forth. You see them, subconsciously or otherwise, adjusting their own tone and mannerism to complement yours and you pick that up to some extent and then it gets overinflated and read into by the delusion and it spirals from there.

Our subconsciouses basically communicate with each other if you look very very closely, and you pick up some of that interaction, which is very very tiny and not that consequential in well adjusted individuals and it throws you for a loop as you try to rationalize the experience.

I’ll give you an example, if you show a certain emotional issue, say you are sad, in the tone of the person answering you often there can be hidden an emotion you can try on for size to help with that and that happens both consciously sometimes and subconsciously all the damn time. It’s not a communication like we have among individuals, it’s the same type of information one neuron would send another neuron in my estimation, you just end up reading way too much intention into something that’s the psychological equivalent of for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. They can’t read your thoughts and they aren’t even aware that their subconscious picked up on a tiny fraction of qualia and replied outwardly as though it were an internal communication with another fraction of qualia that’s meaningful given the original one, that’s all. And the same is true in reverse you pick up on a fraction of that communication and try to ascribe it meaning creating for it a fictional context within which it has meaning. If you didn’t jump to conclusions you’d realize that those tiny qualias can exist in a variety of different thoughts, emotions or what have you, you just picked one and ran with it.

That’s my theory at least, free to take it or leave it. It has absolutely no backing beyond the fact that my intuition says that there may be something to it. Let’s call it subconscious hive mind availability theory, which as a plus gives an evolutionary advantage to developing a consciousness, which makes sense since we have one.

That’s the strange part. You can broadcast more than you think - whole sentences. I have involuntary thoughts inside my head that come out and that can be very offensive. It usually hits a person’s nerves. I’ve seen other guys say out loud the things I’m thinking in easy listening distance to the person being referred to, and no one really gets pissed off. One time I was sitting in this college cafeteria, and this guy sitting next to me pointed to this girl and said, “Look at that. Isn’t she ugly?” I said, “No, she’s not.” The girl being singled out didn’t act too mad, but she could have just been holding it in. Something about the emotional mechanics of the situation makes it more painful the way I do it. Much of the time I want to sink through the floor. It seems like I’m always hitting a nerve. I don’t think I am that sadistic, but I can see how people might think that.

qualia? I’ve heard this term before in a neuro science book I read a long time ago. I just looked it up but still a little confused…it’s been a while.

That’s crazy man… I’ve never heard another’s thoughts. I think my issues is just cognitive distortion. I don’t really believe it man .the fear is what keeps my situation going .

1 Like

A qualia for people who don’t have any significant introspection can be a color, or a smell, an emotion something irreducible that makes up your conscious experience. In fact you can break down a lot of this further but that’s not the point because I was thinking of qualias we have on meaning not the world outside, for example the qualia tied with a U turn, we refer to them as concepts but for thought broadcasting what is relevant isn’t the meaning of the concept but its appearance. If I want to tell you about a U turn I Will naturally get a feeling about that U turn and then I will try with my tone and mannerism to create a system condusive of communicating a U turn and then finally get the words out. All that extra stuff you can pick up on and read into when you are delusional, problem is that if that stuff were enough to communicate something as complex as a thought I would just get the feeling of a U turn, raise my arm with a slight bend and you’d nod in understanding, that’s not the case because it’s not sufficient information but, if you know that I am about to describe you either a U turn or a dragon, you will already know which it is with a significant degree of certainty assuming I ain’t trying to mislead. Your brain basically makes up false dichotomies for what their mannerisms and tones mean and you end up thinking you read their mind or they read yours and have validation because clearly with that mannerism they are talking about a U turn and not a Dragon but really they are going to talk about what happened a long time ago and you didn’t see that they also inclined their head and ended up having partial information over partial information over an arbitrarily limited subset of possibilities. Hence, delusional.

Either way when you communicate all sorts of this tiny little stuff gets embedded in the communication and even when you think a fraction can leak out because the part of our brain that thinks evolved as an offshoot of the part of our brain that moves and we can use the parts that move internally to build a configuration that aids the neurons that think, or actually include movements that help, see stimming or having tells in poker, and I don’t have to tell you how emotions influence your outward displays, all of which always tend to play off each other to some extent.

I am actually pretty good at telling this stuff apart in people whose ideas I already know, I don’t read their mind but often I can predict what they are about to say or what they are thinking even with stuff that’s rather out there based on a movement, a tone, how they are leading into it. It’s called dealing with incomplete data, it’s normal we all do it, even normal people, the point is how much information you actually need and how confident you should be in your guess which is tied with how aware you are of the process and how much of it is just mere intuition and you trusting it blindly. When you are delusional it’s super easy to misread this stuff as well as believe it with a vengeance and paranoia has a field day with this stuff, especially if you have a compromised realization(colors vivid in a weird way type of deal, they drastically change how reliable your ability to tell apart this stuff becomes and if you don’t adapt your estimations… Delusions like thinking people are into you, paranoia, thought broadcasting or whatever else can occur depending on the type of compromised realization.)

P.S. Ok, sorry for the thousand edits, I think this one is complete and much easier to digest than the part that starts theorizing about weird stuff adding an extra unneeded and highly theoretical layer for this context which was more specific to thinking other people read your mind than thinking you read other people’s minds, no more changes. I erased the old post because I couldn’t get the last edit in in time.

This never worked for me. I never trusted people’s word.

1 Like

Beautiful poem … Almost made me cry :person_facepalming:t5: I guess thinking clearly it’s also a true poem.

When it happens i tell myself its a delusion, even if it feels real. This calms me down

1 Like

Telling myself its a delusion doesn’t work to calm me down unfortunately. I wish it did! @Bkewlk

1 Like

Have you ever tried cbt? It can help reframe or lessen severity of delusional thinking

Yea…I’m in therapy but my therapist doesn’t think cbt works with me because of my way of thinking

I still have visceral thought transference problems all the time. I isolate because of it. I stay on the phone because of it. But I’m trying to confront it. I’m going to be working amongst people soon.

1 Like

Almost every “therapist” I’ve encountered in my 30 years of “therapy” has been an abuser in some way, believe it or not.

That’s wild… I’ve had the exact opposite experience with therapy but I’ve had a couple of case managers who I believe were not trying to help me in any way… I just switched! Now my mental health team is really good and I trust them almost completely

Good luck man!!! Those delusions about thought transfer/broadcasting are really hard…