Things they tell me about america! of course how would i know if it's true?

that it’s the greatest, richest, free-est nation in the world haha. and im like “well i really wouldn’t know” i’ve only ever been to ireland, and their convenient stores were better.

it’s a bit funny to me, that we americans are supposed to accept this stuff without exploring and going to see for ourselves.

7 Likes

I’ve visited the United States. Loved it!

Always happy to touch back down on Canadian soil, though. The land of free health care…very few guns and very little racial tension.

7 Likes

I am saddened what is happening currently in America. All coronavirus infections and this campaign mess. I thought the elections were already. I hope that the current administration does not attack Iran. I am just saddened now.

7 Likes

I think you need to visit America to know it. Not just movies. I havent so i cant say a opinion.

3 Likes

I’ve thought about this before. We’re indoctrinated from birth about how great America is and expected to be patriotic but is it real? Is this really the greatest country on earth, ever? I don’t know because I’ve never lived anywhere else but I’m a little weary of the whole thing.

5 Likes

Dunno, there is some stuff in America what isn’t in the touristmagazines.

2 Likes

"Canada is like a very nice apartment above a large meth lab"

Robin Williams

(I’m paraphrasing, but he said something to that effect.)

3 Likes

The propaganda is real. We’re truly indoctrinated from birth as @disciple stated.

We are great, but have a lot of problems. Our biggest issue is thinking we are the best at everything and trying to one up everyone else.

We need to accept we are good at some things and not good in others.

7 Likes

Amen to that.

3 Likes

I’ve mentioned this before.

I just feel that Americans have trouble with self-deprecation humour. Their jokes are always ‘at ya’…‘in your face’. They have trouble laughing at themselves.

But perhaps it comes from having to be the world’s Policeman for so long…they get their back up when being teased by other nations. Somethin like that anyways.

2 Likes

Maybe.

I do self depreciation a lot.

3 Likes

The 90s fed America’s ego with the whole “super power” thing. We kind of fell back down to earth with the recession.

I wrote a big long post about severe famine in Yemen and surrounding countries and our unwillingness or incapability to help, but don’t want to derail or get the thread shut down.

2 Likes

I lived in America in the 1990s, but then the 911 came and America changed. I think that America was good in the 1990s. After that there have been many wars and economic downturns. I flew to the EU from the US 18.5 years ago. I am glad I left my car living in America when I did. Before that I lived in a house in Atlanta. I have seen America’s richest person, Bill Gates making a keynote speech at one tradeshow in Atlanta and then I saw one real poor person in Key West who had only his shorts and tried to find some food from a garbage bin. America has many different types of people. I was young when I went to America in 1989.

3 Likes

IDK. Someone has to be the richest most powerful nation. If it wasn’t us, it would be China or England or someone else. For better or for worse, to keep our status in the world we need to believe we are the greatest and that’s how the people who are in power here stay in power by indoctrinating us from the time we are young that we are the best nation.

Yes, it’s drilled into us, but other nations drill stuff into their population too.

And as a side note, part of the reason we got our power was geography. Because of our location is we have no foreign country who’s hostile near us on our borders. Mexico ain’t going to attack us. Central America ain’t going to attack us and neither is Canada (though they secretly want to, lol). In fact no country is going to attack the U.S. on it’s own soil.

Add to that are abundant natural resources. And we have the most physical, powerful armed forces which keeps us safe.

1 Like

I must correct. Al Qaida attacked the US on it’s own soil, which is why the US went to Afghanistan and elsewhere. We all remember the 911.

1 Like

I like the go kart tracks in usa. They got proper motorsport facilities!

2 Likes

I remember in first grade saying the pledge of allegiance. Had no idea what or why I was saying it. We were groomed while young to believe what we believe.

:+1:

4 Likes

I like shopping in the US, I went to Times Square NY a few years ago, everything is cheaper than Canada. I got Adidas and Polo shoes for 18-20$ and Polo polos for 20$, all original. Though I hate that guns are legal, if I was there I would have shot myself during my first psychosis.

1 Like

All things being equal, I do love America. We have a great amount of cultural and ethnic diversity, and while we have a long way to go to create equal opportunities I am optimistic that in the years to come we are well suited to make epic grounds in equality so long as the good people stay in the fight. We are in a messy era of a changing of the guards, so to speak.

2 Likes

Oooooooo I’m gonna grab Bubba and we’re gonna get our gun rack and truck and visit all y’all dissin on the US of A!

USA USA USA!!!

LOL! (Kidding)

America is so diverse in ideas and people, pretty much any sweeping generalizations just don’t apply.

6 Likes