There is no mention of Sylvia Plath seeing a doctor for mental health

just several attempts at suicide, until the final one was the end.

ummm, and then her mother got Sylvia’s kids.

okay, it’s all about the kids.

Where was she all those troubling times?
Sylvia’s son grew up and committed suicide too.

2 Likes

Mental health was pretty barbaric even through the 1950’s when we got thorazine. Plenty of people went through the wars with seriously bad problems but it all was swept under the carpet and medical prescriptions were not good. Amphetemines and benzo’s were prescribed for all sorts of things that weren’t helpful.

2 Likes

Does this mean that in people with depression one attempt is never only one but many others follow until it’s successful? I had attempted suicide, will i attempt more in the future?

yeah. that, and just that no one knows how to save a life.

sure hope not. My friend Jason says it depends more on life, to die. says it was uncommon then to be a single mother, after Ted left her for another woman.
But he had to have known.
I don’t know, combination of things I guess.

Be mindful we are about support and this can be a triggering topic for some of our community!

If you are feeling suicidal or having a mental health crisis, please tell someone — a friend or family member, a teacher, a doctor or therapist or call 911 (if you’re in the U.S.) or the Emergency Medical Services phone number in your country.

You can also call a crisis intervention hotline—these are available in the U.S. and in many other countries. You do not need to be actively suicidal to benefit from a crisis hotline.

International crisis hotlines:

Crisis hotlines in the U.S.:

More resources:

what? whatever. I was trying to talk about Not following this means.

As a depressed teen, I loved Sylvia Plath. I look at her works these days, and I think, “My goodness, was I really this depressed to enjoy this dark material?” One thing I can attest to, is being a survivor of a parent who committed suicide (as Plath’s son did), it somehow has a paradox where you’re more easily pushed towards suicide.

My dad literally blew his head off with a shotgun, and any time I see a shotgun in person or in a movie, it gets the wheels in my brain a’churnin’ about I should do it that way too, because it’s so effective. The “head eraser” as I call it.

2 Likes

I didn’t know that. That’s terribly sad. She had an American doctor who told her to never take the antidepressant, prescribed by her friend, just days before her suicide. Because it made her depression worse. It was prescribed under a different name. Her friend tried to get her admitted to a hospital many times and then had a nurse care for her.

2 Likes

I saw a couple of movies about her that said she got electroshock. Life just played some kind of nasty trick on her. Happens to a lot of us.

Electroshock was much more arduous back then. It was dreaded. I have seen it do a lot of good in modern times, though.

2 Likes

hi. did you see my post about my mother’s RH negative blood? I tagged you.

1 Like

Hi @Daze , yes, I did see it. Weird stuff. It’s sometimes frustrating to realize science hasn’t yet caught up with all of Mother Nature’s way. So many unanswered questions out there… I also read an article recently where an astrophysicist was speaking about dark matter. He said, we don’t know what it really is. We’re not sophisticated enough yet, so we just call it “dark matter.”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.