Therapy…pointless?

I just talked to my therapist and he had 0 input on what to do for negative symptoms of schizophrenia. Like I’m pretty much fine. I probably do stuff I shouldn’t but other than that I’m fine. Negative symptoms just rule my life. Like how do you get therapy to make your brain more motivated? Does anyone else do therapy and feel like it works?

9 Likes

My therapist is amazing. It took a long time to find him though – 7 years of trying different people, and finding out that so many of them suck.

He is a neuro psych, and believes you can change neuropathways in the brain to get you up and doing things more like your old self. It just takes time, and hard, unpleasant work.

5 Likes

My therapist is a mountain bike
:biking_woman:

7 Likes

I’ve had various therapists over the years and on average they’ve effected me very little, kinda like therapy by numbers. Ask this, ask that, fill out a form, homework…feh.

My last therapist was a quack and useless.
My current therapist is great and she’s a social worker with lots of experience with SZ and bipolar.

Usually there’s not much you can do about negative symptoms.

My therapist behaves like a motivational coach.

That kind of helps me.

1 Like

Nice. I don’t exercise enough. I just have no motivation to get up

3 Likes

Mine just asks how I am feeling. And today he told me to take different meds and try progressive relaxation. I don’t need to relax though. That’s all I do

1 Like

At least your therapist is trying.
My last therapist would just sit there or talk about movies.

Mine mostly talks about music he is learning on guitar. It is so pointless. And just leaves me more frustrated after I talk to him.

1 Like

With therapy you kind of want someone on your side.
Someone to remain positive and give good advice.

If you are getting negative vibes about him and if you feel he’s not helping you any then maybe you should find someone else.

A tiny bit. The best therapists I’ve had were male. It helps when they seem like they care. My therapist talks to me while she’s outside, we do it on the phone b cause of pandemic, and I want to tell her to go inside. Is that irrational?

That’s not to irrational. Does it bug you she is outside?

How does that make you feel?

I have been in therapy often and for long periods with zero results. Now I start a conversation with a new psychiatrist by telling him or her that they shouldn’t waste their money putting me in therapy.

Im soon going to the local rehab center to wean off, and i have to tell them the same. Subutex or methadone is fine, but no therapy, thanks.

Yes physical exercise is good therapy or just a long walk.

1 Like

It is possible, just an FYI but the technical term for the ability of the brain to rewire itself (changing your neuropathways) is called “neuroplasticity”. The more you think a certain way, the stronger and more ingrained those pathways become in your brain and then you begin to think and feel better without as much effort, it just becomes natural at some point.

But you’re right, it takes time and hard work, at least it did for me. I never saw a therapist but have used CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) programs.

I don’t think I would have recovered much at all without therapy.

1 Like

Therapy has helped my social skills quite a bit. I don’t think I’d be where I am today without therapy. That being said, I also went through several therapists before I found the one I have now

I prefer book therapy than psychotherapy

3 Likes

Lol. I mean it’s okay. I guess that’s important. But it’s really the only time we talk about feelings. The rest of the session is just about music