Schizophrenia.com

The truth hurts

Everybody I know refuse to tell me that I am a wonderful or even a good pianist. Even after 15 years of regular study and practice. They say things like:

• Don’t tell people how long you’ve been playing.
  • I wish you could play better.
  • I don’t like it you play too slow.
  • You don’t give up do you?
  • We encourage you in piano because it seems to be so important to you.
  • You can always choose to do something else besides piano.

All I know is I must really suck. And I believe that I can thank Risperdal Consta.

3 Likes

Those are horrible things for anyone to say. Anyone who works at it and makes music should get complimented. I hope you will keep at it.

1 Like

Then play to suck. Fck em. If you enjoy it, that’s what matters.

2 Likes

wow im sorry to hear that. Im sure your playing is great. Dont let it get to you :slight_smile: I can relate though lol
ive been making music for years now and i still have to chase people to listen to my songs :joy:

perhaps because when you send someone a song your asking for a few minutes of their time as opposed to a painting which only demands a few seconds of your time.

Im sure youd have some fans if you posted on here! Maybe you can record it on your phone and post it to soundcloud.com

3 Likes

I’m honestly not a wonderful keyboardist and I’m probably lame on my keytar. I don’t play because I expect that I’ll be an amazing musician. I play because it helps me push back against the arthritis in my hands and keeps my mind active. It’s a positive, healthy activity. Much better for me than being a lump in front of Netflix or a gaming system.

You play for you, screw everyone else.

2 Likes

Who are these people who would say these kinds of things. I’ve never heard such negative feedback in my lif except from the running commentary in my brain. If you have people in your life that are this negative and unsupportive I would think long and hard about getting rid of them and finding new people. You are a wonderful person and you deserve to be treated with kindness and respect and should be supported in all of your activities.

2 Likes

These are all people who love and care enough about me to be brutally honest with me like I would be with them if the tables were turned.

3 Likes

i hear you @SkinnyMe sometimes people can be insensitive… but i think socrates or aristotles (or perhaps at was Marcus Aurelius) taught something like: we live in a world with imperfect people and we have to accept that as a given and there’s nothing we can do to change that.

Also i think people have different temperaments that predispose them to act in certain ways. Idk which you are but mentally ill people are often of a melancholic temperament. Im melancholic partly and i accept the fact that atleast i am quite emotionally sensitive which isnt a bad thing. Just means i feel things more intensely including critique. (There can be a temptation to just shut everyone out)

and especially when were dealing with people who are of a choleric or sort of bold (sometimes brash) temperament it can wreak havoc ( like an iron pot associating with a clay pot necessarily the clay must be broken). I find it difficult to work with people who are too brash.

That being said perhaps i hurt people with my pride sometimes so…

anyways sorry for ramling :joy: thats my two cents and its all i have :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

INTP’s must be a lot alike.

3 Likes

lol yea brother i guess. its cool analyzing personality/temperament types

1 Like

I always thought I was melancholic with a mix of phlegmatic If I’m remembering correctly

2 Likes

I think its not only the meds, its also the sz itself.

1 Like

I strive to see myself fairly, but I understand it can never be a perfect task.

2 Likes

cool man i think im choleric and melancholic

http://www.greekmedicine.net/b_p/Four_Temperaments.html

1 Like

Ive had someone complain about my singing.

1 Like

It seems kind of pointless to be brutally honest about something like this.

1 Like

The point is to not encourage someone in pursuing something they have no talent for so they don’t waste their precious time and effort.

But isn’t it more important that you enjoy it? Even without talent you can learn to do it good enough. You’re not going to do it professionally, I assume?

1 Like

Learning g how to do something, even if bad at it, is worth it. There is joy in learning.

3 Likes

Oh heck no. Way too much anxiety for that.