The Demon Haunted World by Carl Sagan

Hi , I’ve being meaning to post this book for a while. If you don’t know what critical thinking is , then this may help…

3 Likes

I start PHI-critical thinking Tomorrow aamof

1 Like

Nice, I needed something to read

“… refutes the arguments that science destroys spirituality

He also brands as superstition ghosts, angels, fairies, demons, astrology, Bigfoot, the Loch Ness monster and religious apparitions.”

This is a blatant contradiction. You can’t have your cake and eat it too. If he believes science disproves anything of a spiritual nature then he is contradicting himself when he says science does not destroy spirituality.

“refutes the arguments that science destroys spirituality”

Who does?

I found this to be an excellent book - highly recommended reading for everyone

1 Like

I think he’s saying science doesn’t DESTROY spirituality, but rather they are intertwined together to work together.

Like “God uses science to explain the Universe”

But I suppose science does not destroy spirituality, but some scientists attempt to do this, and judging from what atheist scientists/philosophers like Sam Harris think of spirituality, it is being high on ecstasy, so go figure.

If spirits don’t exist but God does, but at the same time God does not interact with conscious creatures, that is deism, and he’s not a deist. Deists are pretty much atheists in my book. Deists believe in God, yet think the religious experiences that created the concept of him in the first place were hallucinatory. I think it is lame to say the least.

Instead of trolling the thread read the book and then you can come back. Half assed googling in quotes , doesn’t cut it. Carl usually doesn’t refer to himself in the third person you know.

3 Likes

Yeah cheers good book.

1 Like

Man is still evolving in trying to understand, grasp and explain what is infinite and eternal with a mortal view of those realities.

It is kind of the ultimate book by Carl Sagan. Cosmos was totally different. Dude Carl Sagan… Eh yeah profound.

look what i found!

1 Like

Perhaps it should be called “the demon created world”?

That’d make alot of sense.

Or the human demon’s world:
Science is a futile strife.

Uhh lost my train of thought. There was something else.

Oh yeah.

Religions expect apocalypse.
Science fights for hope and not blindly at all.

1 Like

I like to distance myself from book reading.

Sounds good, I might get this. But I have too much to read anyway atm, I’m in the middle of CG Jung’s The Red Book, and have Stanislav Grof and a bunch of sci fi novels on my to-be-read shelf.

Thanks ,

I would though recommend reading the book. I just think it will be consumed too frivolously on YouTube. I think its a book that deserves to be read.

1 Like

agreed. I can’t find my copy. this thread made me want to forward it to someone else.

My mom or is might have it.

“BIllions and billions” Very ■■■■■■■ sad… but real

That’s about the only one I’ve got now.