The 'clever but stupid' person

We don’t hear much about the ‘clever but stupid’ person. I’m one of those. Score quite well on high range IQ tests .Some created and/or normed by a psychometrician. However I totally suck when it comes to practical, daily living, skills , and need a fair amount of support.

5 Likes

I think IQ means “I question” doesnt it?

1 Like

Intelligence quotation

1 Like

:eyes: :eyes: :eyes:

Eye queue.

Many eyes forming a line.

5 Likes

I dont like IQ tests. They confuse me. But I was brilliant at school. I think IQ tests are questionable.

1 Like

From a help and support angle it’s not been a good thing . It’s meant being subjected to a lot of negativity, for a long time, for not living up to the expectation of ‘Good at A ,therefore should be good at B’. My daughter knew how things were, but was hampered by us living about 3.5 hours apart. I should’ve moved earlier , but it required a situation where the anxiety due to staying was greater than the anxiety due to moving. She set the picture straight as to how things actually were,with the mental health services here, before the move was made. The result? I’m treated in a kinder,politer, and more caring way compared to how I was treated previously. No one should have to wait till late middle age for that to happen. It’s something that psychiatry needs to improve at as rapidly as possible.

3 Likes

I think I may fall into this category. I test very, very well. I know how to care for myself, fix little things around the house, cook, clean, etc. I can care for animals too.

However, sometimes I miss cues or don’t think of something until afterwards. For example, a few years ago, I was playing games at an elderly home with a resident. I had been discreetly told she had some memory issues. I didn’t think much of it or put together that an elderly woman in a home with memory issues likely meant dementia or something similar. Anyhow, at one point, she missed something in the game that could have let her win. I mentioned it to her, and she was kind of dumbfounded that she’d missed something really basic. When I was driving home, the dementia thought occurred to me, and I realized I shouldn’t have said anything. It was dumb of me, kind of lacking in common sense. She did end up in the memory care ward, btw, and I can’t see her now. :frowning:

1 Like

I don’t think it was wrong for you to mention it to her. She could only become more aware of her true self.

1 Like

Dementia was preventing that.

1 Like

I think I misunderstood your use of the word “dumbfounded”.

1 Like

It’s fine. It is an apt description, though. She was amazed to think she could make such a mistake. She was also confounded as she couldn’t understand how she’d missed something that she would ordinarily catch.

1 Like

Me too. After three years playing sudoku on this one app, I got outraged because the new update “broke the game.” I was halfway through making my own sudoku game that “worked properly” when I showed it to Mr. Star. He told me I just had a number in the wrong spot. Apparently I had gone three years without making a mistake, so I just didn’t know what it looked like when it happened…

2 Likes

Thanks all of you. It’s not an easy topic to raise. It’s certainly not something I feel able/safe enough to talk about in high IQ communities. I attempted to do so on the gifted subreddit and received a very nasty reply. Then they were totally unable/and or unwilling to accept how much the reply had hurt me.

2 Likes

I am kinda smart yet also dumb as hell.

It’s a strange world to live in when you know things yet other stuff makes absolutely no sense yet seems second nature to others.

1 Like

:woman_shrugging:I’m smart innadumb way maybe

1 Like

To put things in perspective, your country has come a long way. Where I live, social support and medical assistance for people in need are almost non-existent unless one pays for it out of pocket, and it’s not cheap. Basically this country abandons its most vulnerable citizen, while encouraging imposture and promoting the wrong kind of rolemodels: people who cheat their way to the top are seen as remarkable, while honest folks working hard to raise a kid are seen as naive.

I try not to let it get to me. My support network is pretty solid for now, others have it much worse.

Read an article last month about a young man half my age, abandoned by parents, suffering with severe MI, jobless, squatting a dilapidated house, surviving on one egg and some water a day!!!

:disappointed:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.