Techniques to deal with voices

I’m wondering if there are any mental techniques that you use to deal with your voices? I have a couple things I do that basically involve focusing my mind on imagined objects or places as a means to control my attention. This can result in blocking the voices temporarily. Does anyone do anything like this or something for the same purpose?

4 Likes

Never heard voice …negatibe are worse…!!!

2 Likes

Good to see you @far_cry0 how’s it going?

2 Likes

I am good…still cant work.cant sleep …so frustated…

2 Likes

Can you take something to sleep better?

2 Likes

I am thinking of adding anti depressant and a benzo…

2 Likes

Can’t hurt, that’s a very common combo. Worth trying

2 Likes

Thanks moon…what do u take beside ap…???

1 Like

From the top:
Lithium
Ativan
Modafinil
Invega
Recently stopped serequel

2 Likes

I rarely have them anymore. I would find something that takes intense concentration. That something for me was some highly delailed artwork.

If i was doing something while on auto-pilot, like washing dishes, then hallucinations would start.

1 Like

Yes.

I imagine a giant STOP sign.

I focus on it completely and imagine the coolness of the metal, the sharp edges, all of the reflective letters.

It helps a lot.

2 Likes

I kinda just do my best not to ‘feed’ them any energy.

If my main voice I hear says something upsetting, I just ignore it.

Music on headphones helps me a lot.

Generally just focusing my energy on positive things and trying not to buy too much into my diagnosis. (While still accepting it, but I just try to not give it too much energy).

I hope this helps :v:

2 Likes

hi,
personally when the content gets too unbearable i try to focus
on ‘sound’ as in - the sound of the voices rather than what they are saying…
may help you, may not, i think its worth trying… helps me… sometimes…

2 Likes

1.talk to my mom to distract me.
2. Listen to music.
3. Concentrate on something enjoyable.
4. Use relaxation techniques.
5. Use aromatherapy.

Just some ideas.

4 Likes

Singing and focusing on bible verses that mention “mind”

1 Like

I like this thread Thank You I’m usually upset about something

I try to figure out whats bothering me

I imagine a giant volume dial in front of me. Then I reach out, turn the volume up, and then turn it down as far as I can. The voices get louder, and then much quieter. Then, I can listen to audiobooks or recording a of my husband reading his notes and it drowns out the noise.

If the voices are particularly violent or disturbing, I calmly concentrate on not being afraid, and on something positive. Then, I can sometimes change the voices to be more positive and friendly. This one is a lot harder to do.