Sz moms and dads

Hey guys, I was curious how having SZ has affected your parenting or how it helps in any ways.
Are your children understanding?
How do you go about explaining what it is to them?
Did you tell them at all?
Is there anything i can do so my baby doesn’t grow up thinking I’m a freaking weirdo for no reason?

Any other comments/advice you wanna add?

Edit : no helpful advice lol.

My kids are understanding. It was hard for them before I got treatment with the right meds. I would get upset too easily.

I just told them I have an illness that affects my brain so that it works differently from other people. That I need to take medicine to be “normal”.

I also explained that when I get angry and yell it is NOT their fault. That sometimes my medicine runs out and I need to get another shot.

Always be honest about the illness. If you hear and see things, it is okay to tell your kids that sometimes your brain tells lies. Kids are far more open to understanding how you can see things that aren’t there, remember they have a lot of imaginary play.

Always let them know that sz isn’t like a terminal disease.

Always tell them that your symptoms are never rheir fault.

5 Likes

Even though I don’t agree with my diagnosis, I take my meds. I take meds because I have issues that the meds help. I hid it from my daughter until she was 18. She’s always known I’m very paranoid though.

I’m about to become a foster parent. I plan on being very open about the topic of mental health with my kids, both because I don’t want them to be afraid of me and because foster kids have a very high rate of mental illness. I plan to get them into counseling services as early as possible, so they grow up witth the idea that seeing a doctor about mental health is normal and healthy.

6 Likes

@ZanyNotStoopid can I move this to health and recovery? I think it would fit in really well there.

1 Like

I had my son before I knew I was sza otherwise I would not have gotten pregnant. I raised him singlehandedly after he turned six years old. It was extremely difficult to raise him by myself when I was so sick even though I made plenty of money. Money alone wasn’t enough. I don’t know how people without many funds do it. Honestly.

My son always made fun of my eps symptoms all his life. That is until he came down with sz himself. That’s when he understood.

I wasn’t diagnosed til my kids were about 6 or 7

so the early years of their lives, were nearly perfect

but then when I started having problems and needed meds

there were a few months where I was in bed a lot

but that didn’t last long. I would recommend you stay employed

and do adult things they can learn from on how to be a grown up

I never wanted my kids to see me ill, so it helped that I had them,

kept me more on the right path, I’m pretty proud that I’ve never had

a suicide attempt, ever.

1 Like

I have a mother who got sick when I was in my early teens.
What hurt me and my siblings the most, was that she didn’t tell us anything about what she was going through and how she was doing. She just withdrew and left her husband to deal with us.

Not knowing why mother was struggling or what she was struggling with, was worse than anything else she might have done to us.

3 Likes

my kids weren’t very old when we saw A Beautiful Mind in the theater

but I don’t recall discussing my own similar thoughts

not til they got into high school, then she was very supportive

ever since.

1 Like

Yeah 1515151515

@Daze, who was very supportive?

My father was very MI and all of us kids knew it from a young age. He was never officially diagnosed but it didn’t matter. We knew something was gravely wrong with his brain. And we were all his captive victims. He was physically, mentally and sexually abusive to all of us. And he was very paranoid and delusional. That was clear. He refused to be seen or get treatment.

oh I meant my daughter

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.