My 15 year old daughter

Wants to interview me for a paper about mental illness. I will do it but I don’t want to be too open about it because it may worry her. What parts of sza should I omit?

1 Like

Maybe leave out the intensity of suicidal thoughts. A kid might internalize that.

4 Likes

Yes for sure. That would worry her for sure

1 Like

I wouldn’t do it. But I don’t blame you if you do! I think I’d worry that my dishonesty (keeping parts hidden) would be as potentially damaging as being completely honest. It’s a losing situation.
I certainly could be wrong though.
I agree that talking about suicidal ideation might be more than she should hear. Also, any self-harm, and any very violent thoughts could be too much.
Parenting is so hard. You’re obviously very thoughtful. :heart:

3 Likes

I’m very open about my illness.
It’s just an illness like any other.
I explain schizophrenia and I show that we are not monsters

2 Likes

I don’t tell my kids about voices telling me to kill myself. That’s between my pdoc and me. My husband, maybe.

4 Likes

Yes I think anything violent I will be omitting. Just the basics and a little glazed over

2 Likes

I mean, you can probably mention that some of the intrusive thoughts and voices are “disturbing” or “upsetting.” We don’t like to think about it, but there’s a chance our kids could develop these disorders, and I personally want my kid to be able to recognize the warning signs and know he should come to me for help, rather than feeling like a freak and staying silent. I don’t tell him I used to hear my loved ones being dismembered by demons. But I do tell him that some of the things I heard were very scary. I try to stay focused on the recovery process, rather than the symptoms. Like “before I got treatment, I used to hear and see some pretty scary things, but now that I’ve gotten help and medication, I don’t have to deal with that anymore.”

2 Likes

I was unable to hide my illness from my daughter. She was 13 when it started. I didn’t tell her what was happening but somehow she knew. My son was just a baby so he had no idea but it messed my daughter up.

1 Like

Yes that’s a good idea

1 Like

I’ve been in the hospital 3 times and to the crisis unit countless times. They understand some if it and have seen me struggle. I just reassured them I was just getting myself help so I could be a good mom.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.