Suicide-in the genes?

Continuing the discussion from Do your "voices" ever use body gestures through your body to communicate?:

Continuing the discussion from Who here has friends?:

Continuing the discussion from Who here has friends?:

Continuing the discussion from There was a suicide this week in my town:

Sounds like good advice, I was wondering if anyone has a family history of suicides and/or suicidal tendencies?
My great great grandfather shot himself. a great uncle hung himself and my father gassed himselfā€¦I*ve also had suicidal times in life, family, friends and mental health professionals helped me trough-its been 4 years since the last episode so things can and do change

2 Likes

sorry about your family lossesā€¦:heart:
but what happens in a familyā€¦be it suicide or anything elseā€¦does not define you.
if someone is sexually abused by a family member does that mean it continues in the familyā€¦no it does not.
yes, your family is obviously prone to depressionā€¦but suicide is an optionā€¦ a choice.

but good on you for fighting to get better :trophy:
take care :alien:

Yes, Iā€™ve heard suicidal tendencies are inherited and that some people are hard-wired for suicide. But donā€™t take my word for it. You can research it online. Or this would be an ideal time for @notmoses to offer his knowledge.

1 Like

My grandfather, and great-grandmother both committed suicide.

I donā€™t mean to offend anyoneā€¦but you would think the ā€œsuicidal geneā€ would die off after time. I would have thought already if there was a gene for that, it would be gone. Not saying there would be zero suicides anymore, but I would think the families that are burdened by chronic suicides would cease to exist. For obvious reasons.

No, success at suicide can skip generations. You might have one mother who commits suicide. But then her son may attempt-and survive. He has three daughters. Two of them may attempt and only one may succeed while the third daughter never attempts. The surviving two may have six children between them and only one attempts and succeeds but they all still have the gene and they pass it on to the next generation.
Or to put another angle on it, A father with the gene may pass it onto his daughter. He has a daughter. The father commits suicide. The daughter grows up and has a daughter or son. The daughter of the man then commits suicide. Her children grow up and have children of their own before both committing suicide and pass the gene on to their . And their children grow up and have children of their own before committing suicide. And so on.

Iā€™ve seen research all the way back into the '60s for both genetic pre-disposition and environmental stress. It seems pretty clear now that neither is entirely the case. The diathesis-stress model (see below) almost always show up when one interviews those who have attempted suicide due to chronic emotional suffering.

(I am myself a three-time attempter; with two ā€œadventuresā€ thereafter in the ICU. I have genes for bipolar, have been drug-and-alcohol-addicted, and was plain terrified of slipping down into abject poverty and homelessness at those times.)

1 Like

I agree at first, but a lot of religions really look down on suicide, to the point where youā€™ll suffer for eternity for the act. This alone could have kept the ā€œgeneā€ alive.

Personally I think it CAN be genetic, I heard this story of a 7 year old that wanted to die for years and succeeded at 7. Seems more than just environment. It was a tragedy to the family of course.

But certainly not all and maybe not even most are genetic if they are.

Eccentric behavior in the family leads to many problems that might exhibit suicide. It is never colored in until it is actually completed, but several Iā€™ve seen have little adherence to sibling or parental influence.

thanks for your replies-seems to be a difference of opinions on the subject, perhaps there exists a pre-disposition to having these thoughts and negative environmental factors exacerbate this?
However suicide is never the answer and seeking help at the first opportunity is good advice.
Friends, family and health professionals are there for us so I agree: talk with someone if we experience this.

Some people take that road after they reproduce so their children would directly inherit those genes.