Stopped Latuda, back to Palido and Trazodone!

Hi, so I started Latuda last year as it was newer med and less weight gain. I gained about 30lbs on Paliperidone :frowning:

However this year I was getting irritated, jittery legs (RLS), and very poor sleep! I stopped Latuda hence.

As this was destroying my day work. So I switched back to Paliperidone and since I had sleep probs leftover symptom, I decided to take Trazodone which helped a lot!

So anyone else who had similar probs with Latuda? (Lurasidone)

1 Like

Still not availble in our country…

No problem it seems with Lurasidone. I take it at night with food and no problem with the sleep and other issues. Also I take statins and abilify at night, so they may be contributing to sleep.

1 Like

what is your full medication cocktail @Andhrawala, i remember you said you take 30mg abilify. thats it.

1 Like

I take 30 mg Aripiprazole, 40 mg Lurasidone, 10 mg Atarvostatin at night and Pacitane 4 mg during the day daily. I also take Paroxetine during the day.

1 Like

i used to be on 30mg aripiprazole as well, cognitive dulling was an issue so we started titrating down. i also tried 80mg lurasidone, but felt acutely cognitively impaired.

why do you take paroxetine during the day, i’ve heard its more sedating. fluoxetine is a better option during the day as it’s more activating, and has less severe withdrawal symptoms. paroxetine during the day is an interesting choice. can you explain it?

Yes! I take Paroxetine for OCD symptoms in Schizophrenia. It’s called Schizo obsessive disorder. You are right that Fluoxetine is less sedative, but the doctor gave Paroxetine. It turned out to be a very good choice.

1 Like

fluvoxamine is one of the best for ocd. higher doses of aripiprazole have more antiserotonergic effects, which might make schizophrenia with obsessive features worse. otherwise aripiprazole or rexulti are better for this with risperidone, olanzapine and clozapine being the worst for obsessive compulsive symptoms.

what are your obsessive compusive symptoms, do you have intrusive thoughts?

Since Paroxetine suited me I need not consider other drugs. I am taking aripiprazole 30mg which has antiserotonergic effects as you said. Doctor is using this drug for Psychosis part of the disorder. I will again talk to him and see if the dose can be reduced. I have some common OCD symptoms and more importantly it is difficult to identify obsessions from delusions in the Psychotic process. We noticed the obsessive part after 7 years with the doctor. Hence the drug Paroxetine was introduced.

1 Like

I also suffer from undiagnosed Schizo-OCD, possibly induced by antiserotonergic antipsychotics.

Good luck with your paroxetine, but if you feel like withdrawing from it consider tapering onto fluoxetine which has an easier withdrawal. Paxil withdrawal is hell, the best way to get off it if you feel the need to do so or no longer draw any benefit is to have never been on the drug to begin with or to cross taper over to an SSRI with an easier withdrawal process. I wish you the best in your Schizo OCD struggle.

That’s a very interesting point you are making. I am taking aripiprazole 30 mg since nearly 15 years. Do you think that contributed to the Schizo-OCD. I know that drug induced Schizo obsessive disorder can happen. And it happened in my case! Oh my God!

1 Like

In the case studies I’ve read it often presents itself after a number of years on a second generation antipsychotic.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/pnp.449/pdf

Thank you for sending the article. I have read it and found that aripiprazole does not exhibit any antiserotonergic property. Risperidone, Olanzapine and Clozapine are real culprits. However i will try to change the SSRI drug Paroxetine and opt for fluoxetine or fluvoxamine. Thank you once again.

1 Like

My doctor is withdrawing Paroxetine and wants to introduce fluoxetine. I am feeling nervous because Paroxetine suited me very well and I started getting good results. Do you think that fluoxetine will also suit me as Paroxetine did. Will it be as effective as Paroxetine. Please tell me your opinion.

2 Likes

In my experience fluoxetine is very uplifting and motivating. It can cause insomnia, this effect should disappear after a number of days. Finally, it’s a great appetite supressant so you might lose a little weight. Fluoxetine is weaker than paroxetine so you may need to be on a high dose to notice Ssri effects. This will of course come with extreme sexual side effects. For me, after a number of weeks to months I could orgasm again, for a while I couldn’t. I also felt less sexual fulfillment and desire. The good thing about trying fluoxetine is that it is very easy to discontinue, meaning, If you are a responder you can remain on it, but if you aren’t you can try sertraline or one of the others.

If you suffer from negative symptoms antidepressants may be of some benefit in ameliorating them. Fluoxetine in particular can make people feel very motivated, however everyone has a different response.