Stephen King's "the shining"...my new book I'm reading

I didn’t know this but “the shining” was Kings third book only…you can tell he’s trying very hard to be intriguing…I love it and I read 20 pages first setting…that’s a lot for me but the book is so damn good…anyone read King here?

1 Like

Oh you’re in for a treat!

The Shining is classic King, very different from the Kubrick film, too.

I like Stephen King seventies books a lot. Carrie, The Shining, and Salem’s Lot.

I call that his “sweet spot” in his writing career.

I also like Misery and The Dead Zone a lot.

2 Likes

He was the only writer I would read in the late seventies and early eighties…I read a lot of his books and I remember “the shining” the first time I read it scared me to death…I get an adrenaline from his words, can’t describe it…but yeah “the shining” is King trying really hard this time…he was hungry for fame I think. and for sure “the shining” is one of Kings greatest.

1 Like

I loved The Stand. It was like 1100 pages long. Firestarter was good too. It’s all good, but The Shining is definitely one of the best.

3 Likes

I read my copies of It and The Stand until they fell apart.

3 Likes

@agent101g I agree…

@anon4362788 that’s the way I am with “the shining”. it’s been long enough that it reads like new…feels good…looking forward to being scared…

1 Like

I’ve read Shining and The Stand back when I could read whole books and enjoy them. I like the Stand better, I like any good apocalyptic story

2 Likes

I’m a big Stephen King fan, and the Shining is one of my favorites. I strongly recommend Doctor Sleep after you’re done with the Shining. Doctor Sleep is the sequel.

1 Like

I also really enjoyed Doctor Sleep. It sort of felt like King’s 70’s novels, to me at least.

I might buy the DVD of the movie after I read some reviews.

1 Like

I loved the movie. It kind of made up for Kubrick’s The Shining movie, changing enough to compliment both the Shining and Doctor Sleep novels. I’ve seen the theatrical cut and director’s cut, and I strongly recommend the director’s cut. Its 3 hours long as apposed to 2 1/2 hours long, but it is very much worth it.

Also, I didn’t mind Kubrick’s movie, but so much was changed from the novel that its hard to say “this is the movie adaption of the book.”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.