Starting recovery, looking for tips and motivation to get better.

I have suffered with schizophrenia like symptoms for 20 + years. I have had a rough time coming to the realization I have a disease and it isn’t what my delusions lead me to believe. I want to get better and was hoping people would share what helps them.

3 Likes

I wish I did it way sooner but physical fitness really does help me mentally as well. It’s hard to start but once you get on a roll it gives good results for what is basically free. I’m fitter now at 49 than I was in my thirties when first diagnosed. Wasted a few years but I’d recommend a check in with your gp to make sure there’s no issues and then a decent amount of regular exercise.

2 Likes

I agree with mod rogueone, exercise is great for stress and overall health. I’d add to enjoy the small things, reading an interesting book, enjoying a hobby. It really comes down to the basics, eating right, exercising, sleeping well.

1 Like

I got the disease six years ago and was very delusional for the first two years. Then with medication and therapy I gained my insight slowly and now I just deal with voices. I have zero delusions or paranoia. You’ve had symptoms longer than I have though so I’m not sure how much I could help, but I’m just going to say that holding onto your insight is the single most important element to recovery. My family was so happy when I snapped back to reality and stopped suspecting them of things. It’s so much easier for them when I’m myself, even if I am still hearing things now and then.

Find out if there is a NAMI office near you and either go there in person or call and see what resources they have. My local chapter offers support groups, family support groups, something called a “warmline” to call for non-crisis situations just to vent and get support. They offer a lot more too. I know a lot of people with schizophrenia have a hard time filling their day with things to do so their groups are held through zoom or just by phone. It’s a good way to spend an hour and a half or an hour and you don’t even have to talk much, you can just listen.

Try a medication for a period of about one month to three months, vary the amount if you and your psychiatrist think that will help.

Keep the goal, being that the lowest amount optimal for resolving your symptoms.

Try to live with someone else who knows you well, and have them help gauge if you’re improving or if you’re being irritable. They might notice if you’re stiff even when you don’t. These sorts of things are really helpful diagnostics.

It took about two years for me to get to a point where I think I’m well treated. I still might have to change a medication due to other side effects but I’m not sure yet if thats the case or if its because I need a dietary change.

Please look into support options and housing support if you are at risk.

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.