Solution for insomnia

I never had insomnia with meds but For the past two weeks I Stay awake for hours while lying in bed without sleep

I am currently taking Rexulti 3 mg

Any solution?

ask your doctor for prn sleep meds (if needed meds)
as i did

3 Likes

I have insomnia from olanzapine withdrawal.

I’ve been taking 1.5mg of clonazepam every night for the past 8ish months. I can’t sleep without it.

OTC and herbal remedies were useless to me, so was melatonin and most prescription sleep meds.

You’re gonna have to start at the beginning. Maybe give OTC products a try like melatonin or benadryl. If that doesn’t work talk to your doctor and try different prescription drugs until you find something that works. There are different types of meds that can help you sleep. Benzos, certain antipsycotics, certain antidperessetns, z-drugs(hypnotics), antihistamines.

Be warned that many sleep aids come with dependency risks, especially the ones that work on GABA. I am dependent on clonazepam now. If I can ever sleep naturally again I will have to very very slowly reduce my dosage and wean myself off it. Otherwise I could run into serious withdrawal problems.

I decided becoming dependent on clonazepam was a worth while trade off so I could get some sleep.I currently have no regrets.

3 Likes

Benzodiapines: xanax, clonazepam, diazepam etc. Melatonin, valrian root, chamomile tea, hot miky drink before sleep. Antichistapines antipsychotics like quetiapine, risperidone and others

1 Like

For me melatonin does the trick. But I’ve never had severe insomnia, so it might not apply to severe insomnia. When I really have a hard time sleeping, I use a combination of melatonin, l-theanine, and ashwagandha

1 Like

I never thought maybe my insomnia was caused by going off zyprexa which I took for 10 years until I came to this forum. For a long time I was on loxapine and lithium and slept 4 hours each night and 4 in the day. My years of 20 mg zyprexa were filled with the most intense depression I slept off and a lot of hunger never satisfied. It was not sustainable way to live. I’m on Latuda now for mood stabilizer and anti psychotic and pleased with it and 2.5 mg zyprexa for sleep.

Don’t let it get out of hand…

I’d try and find a med that works for you

I take 200 mg of trazadone and sleep a full eight to nine hours each night…i can drink coffee all night , pop a couple traz, and crash within fifteen mins.

my sleep problems are linked pretty closely to my back injury. I avoid driving as much as I can and occasionally take baclofen as a muscle relaxer. I use a heat pad on my back an hour or two before I go to bed.

a lot of the rest of my sleep deprivation comes from my wife watching TV loudly (she sleeps with it on) or my cat wanting tuna

Try listening soft dull music it might help. As far as meds I too still am in search of one to help me sleep. Good luck and let me know if you find anything , but each person is unique… Meaning what works for one doesn’t always work for another. Good luck .

I’ve never had serious insomnia.
Whenever I have trouble falling asleep:

• dimming the lights in the evening
  • avoiding PC and phone at least one hour before bed time
  • Melatonin

= Good night’s sleep.