Social Anxiety in Schizophrenia: An Overlooked Problem

https://www.psychiatryadvisor.com/home/topics/schizophrenia-and-psychoses/social-anxiety-in-schizophrenia-an-overlooked-problem/

Emerging evidence has begun to elucidate the prevalence and outcomes associated with social anxiety disorder (SAD) in schizophrenia. Findings thus far have demonstrated greater disability, elevated rates of substance abuse, lower quality of life, and a higher risk for suicide in patients with comorbid SAD.

I hate going out in public. I have to go to the grocery store early in the morning because barely anyone is there that early.

When i was in good shape all my hallucinated public voices were good. When I say public voices I mean hearing people on the street mumble. Now that I’m overweight I hallucinate people saying negative things.

3 Likes

Same I used to hear mumbles, now I hear negative things about my weight. And I have a lot of anxiety now because of those voices

1 Like

I get confused about this because I don’t have social anxiety. I am not afraid of talking to people or scared I am going to say something stupid, I have more difficulty communicating with people.

1 Like

Definiitely an overlooked problem. They need to change and address it better.

1 Like

I’ve always heard mumbles. Even when I was obese.

1 Like

I get the mumbles too sometimes. Usually saying stuff into hidden microphones. I don’t go out much as a result

1 Like

I have ,I think,quite severe social anxiety, although in the letter my sister provided for the ASD assessment she said it was extreme.

2 Likes

getting over the social anxiety is the worst part of my job. I have to talk to my coworkers, who are all quite talkative, whereas I am not. SAD can be debilitating

1 Like

I’ve spent the last two years dealing with customers who are hostile over insurance premiums and payments. Definitely helps one become more confident and assertive. Thought I was gonna implode that first month.

1 Like

i don’t think i have anything good to say very often. so i don’t talk much. nothing wrong with that. i like email more than phone calls.
i don’t think i communicate well at all. if anytime i say something negative it has always turned into a big fight, even when I was a kid. Now talking is a pain and I try to stay placid. I hold back anger or try to make a positive opportunity out of it. But i know it is going to kill me. Anger doesn’t work just creates more problems and doesn’t clear the air. Expressing myself does,nonaccusative, but only rarely.

2 Likes

I always hear negative comments about myself out in public. It just makes me despise people even more.
And before i even got sick, i was always shy and quiet anyways. Now i hate small talk even more.
I do talk quite a bit in my support groups and to my mom, but other then that i don’t say much at all.

1 Like

I have such severe social anxiety that I flinch in panic if a human even shows up in a space I’m not expecting them (such as waiting for an elevator and the elevator doors open to a person standing there). I feel debilitated by the fact that a person sneezing makes me flinch because I am so anxious around people.

2 Likes