So far so good on Chantix (to Stop Smoking)

I am on day 12 of Chantix and officially made today day one that I don’t smoke cigarettes. I feel no cravings to speak of and I think the Chantix is really helping in that regard. I feel more energy from Chantix and having very vivid dreams but no nightmares. Thanks everyone for looking out for me when I first started Chantix. No depression except the things that were already depressing before I started this med. (father dying)

6 Likes

Hopefully it works out. Are you only taking it to quit cigarettes?

yes, only for cigarettes. I feel lucky I got to try Chantix again. At first the pharmacy said without insurance it would be $270 but medicare covered everything but $12.

Varenicline (Chantix, Pfizer) is a safe and effective aid to help patients with stably treated schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder to stop smoking, new research suggests.

Results of a randomized trial showed that 12 weeks of treatment of patients with these disorders was more effective at achieving smoking cessation than placebo, with no increase in adverse events, including suicidal ideation and suicidal attempts.

“Smokers with psychotic disorders are motivated to try to quit smoking and should routinely be provided with smoking cessation treatment,” lead author Jill M. Williams, MD, director of the Division of Addiction Psychiatry at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey–Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, in New Brunswick, told Medscape Medical News.

Source:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/765700

2 Likes

My doctor said no because it can make one psychotic.