Two psychiatrists with different opinions

Hello, since I was diagnosed with schizophrenia, I have always been treated by the same psychiatrist. He also works in the addictions area.
On the other hand, a while ago I went to a psychiatrist who does not know me.

The usual psychiatrist recommended me a medication for my addiction, which I am afraid to use since there are different opinions on the web, since it is a very good medicine and others say it should be prohibited.

My addiction is very strong and that prevents me from living a normal life, my psychiatrist (the one I have since being diagnosed with schizophrenia) says to use that medication that will do me good.

The other psychiatrist, who only saw him once, told me not to use it, which is very risky for people with schizophrenia.
I do not know who to pay attention to!

• in southern amercia, things are different. Mental health hospitals. the government does not give much importance.
1 Like

What med are we talking about? I can’t give much advice without knowing the med.

2 Likes

If you’re talking about naltrexone, @Jonnybegood takes it with good results. But all medications come with a risk, and every brain is different. Maybe you can make a pro/con list.

2 Likes

the medicine I should use is chantix-champix I can not take it anymore, I smoke a lot and that’s driving me crazy.
I can not work or study since every moment I think about smoking a cigarette.
I’m suffering a lot from tobacco addiction.
And my last resort is the champix, I think I should use it. I can not enjoy a movie at the cinema because of the cigarette, I need cigarettes every time.

1 Like

Can someone else contribute their experiences or opinions?

1 Like

If you do a search there have been a few people talking about chantix recently. Was it @rogueone? If not maybe he’ll remember? I know he was at least in the thread I’m thinking of.

2 Likes

ok, sorry for writing a similar topic, I’m very nervous about the side effects of the medication and that makes me scary

1 Like

I would try the nicotine patch or gum first. When I tried chantix/champix, I was told by my doctor that it was very dangerous for those diagnosed with schizophrenia also. I stopped because of that.

1 Like

Have you stopped smoking? I tried with the patches, but they did not work smoked the same. I have not tried the chewing gum

When I say I stopped, i meant the chantix/champix. I unfortunately started smoking again recently after I was doing well on the patch for a little over a month. I have an unfortunate habit of using certain excuses to start smoking, even when I am doing well in my attempts to quit. Its not so much the patches don’t help, I’m just apparently unable to control my impulse to pick it up again when I somehow feel justified to do that. It’s stupid, but I’ve been smoking for about 27 years. It’s my last addiction to overcome, and my biggest remaining crutch when I get nervous.

1 Like

your psychiatrist told you that it is very wrong to use champix?
I do not understand have you used champix or not?
I tried the patches but it did not stop my addiction, I smoked the same with the patch on.
and it was peeling off my skin

Back when I smoked, I went to my primary physician and asked for Chantix or whatever it’s called and he wouldn’t give it to me because I have schizophrenia.

He said it could cause some problems for me mentally…like cause psychosis or something I’m not sure exactly what he said it was a long time ago.

1 Like

How have you managed to stop smoking?

Here is a study szadmin found a while back

1 Like

I did the patch, of course it was hell but I got through it. It’s been over 2 years now since I smoked

1 Like

According to the publication it seems that it is safe to use champix, although there are different pings in the forum and among my psychiatrists, I am confused.

Sorry that my posts were confusing. I started chantix/chanpix at the recomendation of my medical (general practice) doctor. When i mentioned it to my psychiatrist a short time afterwards, he said I needed to stop taking it, it wasn’t recommended for people diagnosed with sz. So I stopped taking the chantix/chanpix. I’m also sorry if you found my last post discouraging.
My girlfriend quit smoking about 14 years ago. Her daughter was concerned for her health and asked her to quit. She provided her with patches. My girlfriend promised her she would quit and made up her mind to do just that. She was successful and hasn’t picked up a cigarette since.
The points i would like to make clear are these. It’s always a good idea to quit a harmful habit like smoking. For many very good reasons. Regardless of which method you choose, I wish you the best and hope you can quit.

1 Like

Even when using the patch, it won’t help if you continue to smoke while using them. They are there to minimize the discomfort associated with nicotine withdrawal while you refrain from smoking. If you smoke when you’re using the patch, the patches have no therapeutic value whatsoever. I think maybe you need to discuss your options with a doctor to give some tips and guidelines on whatever method you and your doctor choose. It might be helpful to gain better understanding of what else you need to do when using these different methods to help you quit. I’m pretty sure none of these methods will work if you cannot or will not refrain from smoking. There is no magic wand that will suddenly turn off your smoking habit. You have to make the effort.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.