Sinking to the bottom of hell

Hmm, I seem to have a tendency to join in on a topic when it’s not currently really active. I guess I love nights or something.

Anyhow, how do you NOT quality for Social Security Disability? Did you apply in the past? You may want to … either re-apply or what do you call it? Dispute? If you have a Schizophrenia diagnosis, that can be enough to get a Disability Rating of AT LEAST 50%. Believe it or not, I was eventually assigned a 100% Disability Rating, due to a number of factors. Bottom line is if you have SZ and you cannot work, you should be getting more than $530 a month. However, it’s hard to judge because I don’t know certain factors of your case.

I don’t know if these rules have changed since 2008/2009, but if I recall correctly: if it is determined you cannot work for at least a year and it is related to a severe diagnosis like SZ and you run completely out of money, you appear to be eligible to get greater benefits or financial assistance. When you apply for SSD, they will want you to see one of their doctors/psychiatrists for an appointment. In my case, that was more than enough to eventually be put on SSD. I also get VA Disability (Army veteran). So, back then I was in the process of seeing VA psychiatrists also. I guess it helped to have a combination helping me out when I needed it. And provided more than enough feedback/evidence to whoever needed it to be approved for Disability payments. Thanks to Veterans Affairs Disability, I actually got way more than I ever thought I would get. I was like you. I was just hoping for anything. I live alone so I don’t require so much to live. I actually have a surplus of money that I donate to certain organizations.

I think the key is what Disability Rating they eventually decide for a case, can be tricky when it comes to Mental Health.

1 Like

According to disability I only qualified for ssi because I didn’t work long enough to qualify for ssd. I was diagnosed with schizophrenia at 18.

If that’s the rule, it’s a bad rule. It doesn’t sound right because in my case it did not matter how short or long I had worked jobs/occupations in my brief work history.

I know it doesn’t sound right but that’s what they told me when applying that you needed a certain amount of work credits which depends on how long you work and how much you made I think. I googled it yesterday and it said the same thing so I’m guessing that’s the right information.

It’s not fair though because of how early I got sick and the fact that I barely worked because I was young.