Side effects (and effectiveness) of Clozapine?

Hello everyone,
I am thinking about switching meds to Clozapine, anyone here that takes it can you tell me about its effectiveness and side effects? Thank you.

Clozapine is the only AP that ever did anything for me and it has kept me out of the hospital. The side effects are mild and the risk of develoiping taridve dyskenisa are low complared to the other drugs.You will have to have weekly blood tests to make sure you’re not developing condition that that lowers your white cell count but the risk of this is low.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your answer! I read somewhere that we have to try ourselves to get better, and I 'm starting to believe that, so I might not go to Clozapine (yet). But I would love to read about its effectiveness and its side effects as I asked from the start. Be well!

1 Like

For me Clozapine was a nightmare drug. It turned me into the walking dead, for real. I’m probably over-sensitive to drugs that are sedating, if that makes sense and Clozapine made me sleep 16+ hrs a night and a drugged haze when I was awake. It did nothing for my dissociation-problem, not sure about the hallucinations as my inner fantasy world was so intense from the dissociation. I remember drooling a lot, constipation, and I gained 50lbs in about 5 months. I have to add that it became unbearable living like that and I stopped taking it cold turkey. I immediately lost 40 lbs in about 2 months and within 6 months relapsed and was back in the hospital in full blown psychosis. I’ve since found a much better med for me and which makes me want to be med compliant.

1 Like

Clozapine had a novel effect on me. It totally destroyed my balance. I mean like barely able to stand up, and in serious danger of doing a nose dive into the carpet. I had to get off it.

1 Like

Thank you guys and girls, I read some good reviews here about this medicine, but I don’t want to risk it since it’s like you say. Some say it’s the perfect medicine, without so many side effects or at least equal effects with all other APs, but as I said, I am not willing to risk it.

Clozapine was my miracle drug. I was on risperdal, abilify, seroquel, and zyprexa and none of them worked. The side effects for clozapine for me was mild weight gain, though nothing compared to zyprexa. Also you will have to get weekly blood tests to check your white blood cell counts. Along with excessive drooling. Clozapine is also quite sedating once you take it, but that may be a plus if you have trouble falling asleep. Clozapine also helps me the most when it comes to eliminating my disorganized thinking and delusional thoughts. While taking it I’m in a much clearer head space. It also calms down my auditory and visual hallucinations down quite a bit. On a final note clozapine is most well noted for people who are treatment resistant on other medications. I hope this helps!

1 Like

Thank you very much! I am very much afraid of weight gain and the blood tests! But I will have it in mind for the future!! It seems that it is the best medicine to some people, maybe it is for me too, maybe not. We’ ll see!!