Shortness of breath

I have shortness of breath. I have been diagnosed with schizophrenia and psychiatrists think that my shortness of breath is due to schizophrenia. Does anyone else have or have heard of shortness of breath or other somatic symptoms of schizophrenia? I am especially interested in extreme physical suffering which doctors diagnose as a consequence of schizophrenia because my shortness of breath gave me extreme physical suffering for two years (now it is better but I still have shortness of breath which gives me physical discomfort). I am asking because I have trouble believing the diagnosis given to me by psychiatrists.

Shortness of breath isn’t a symptom of schizophrenia as far as I know :confused:

1 Like

Welcome.

If you find yourself in need of help, just tag a moderator. Type the @ symbol, then our names

@anon4362788 , @Ninjastar , @Moonbeam, @rogueone, and @Bowens

Enjoy your stay with us!

1 Like

Hey, off meds I get mildly catatonic and hold my breath as long as I can unsconsciously, is that what you mean? Do you get catatonic?

Thanks for replying! Basically my story is that I started feeling short of breath and I thought I was poisoned and then psychiatrists said I had schizophrenia and my shortness of breath was because of schizophrenia.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for replying! I don’t think I get catatonic. I have shortness of breath where it is difficult to breathe in, breathing out is normal. Does your breathing problem give you significant physical suffering (sorry for asking, I really hope it doesn’t)?

1 Like

Panic attacks can do that but if your Dr said its sz then its sz.

Shortness of breath is NOT a SZ symptom.
It’s indicative of a physical health issue.

Go see a doctor like a general practitioner

3 Likes

Thanks! I don’t think I have panic attacks. It is true that I am afraid that people poisoned me which is why I have shortness of breath and may poison me again but I don’t think I have panic attacks.

1 Like

Thinking you were poisoned is a symptom of sz, and stress from that belief can cause shortness of breath i.e, panic attacks.

4 Likes

I found this, risperdal can cause breathing problems in rare situations. Risperidone-Induced Acute Laryngeal Dystonia: A Case Report

I agree with @Wave , seek a gp Dr advice, maybe its not sz.

Thanks a lot! I had breathing problems before I got on risperidone(risperdal) and after I got off of it so I don’t think risperdal is what caused my breathing problems. In fact, psychiatrists used risperdal to treat my schizophrenia hoping that it will also treat my breathing problems because they thought my breathing problems were because of schizophrenia.

1 Like

Have you had corona? My shortness of breath stems directly from that.

Thanks a lot for replying! I have seen all possible doctors and done all possible tests and everything came back normal which is why they are sending me to psychiatrists thinking that shortness of breath is a consequence of schizophrenia.

2 Likes

I mean are you overweight?
Obesity can cause shortness of breath

It’s sounds like maybe they think that the anxiety created by your thoughts of being poisoned caused by schizophrenia is causing you shortness of breath? So maybe Schizophrenia is the indirect cause? In a roundabout way?

1 Like

I am so sorry you had corona! Did you get better after corona or do you still have shortness of breath after you no longer have corona?

I am overweight (I weigh 80 kilograms and my height is 167 cm). But I only got overweight recently while most of the time I had breathing problems I had normal weight (my shortness of breath started 4 years ago).

1 Like

Are you taking risperidone?