Sexually transmitted diseases -possible TW

I have a friend who has BPD, plus bipolar. She decided she’s not bipolar and talked her dr into stopping her meds.

She is now spending days where she can’t get out of bed, and other days where she’s extremely social.

Anyway, during her mania, she has indiscriminate sex with people she meets online.

Well, now she has venereal diseases, and some that stay with you for life. How do I convince her to see her pdoc and go back on meds?!

1 Like

It sounds like she’s suffering from lack of insight. All you can do is point out what’s happening to her and point out that she wasn’t like that on meds.

But if she doesn’t have insight, then you’ll have an uphill battle unfortunately.

1 Like

Ok. Thanks for your thoughts

1 Like

I’m sorry @CoCo . That sounds so heartbreaking. Insight is something I still struggle with at times.

2 Likes

She’s not afraid of AIDS? Why not use a condom?

I’ve always been scared of getting an STD so I’ve never slept around, plus I hate condoms, they really kill the experience for me. I’d rather be having sex in a monogamous relationship where there is no risk of disease, or a lower risk anyways, she could cheat.

1 Like

She’s so sick she can’t think clearly about things like that. She’s highly driven to get out there with her mania. It’s all part of the illness

1 Like

I think people should get checked for diseases before being intimate so they know what they’re possibly getting into

1 Like

When I was manic bcz of Abilify I had sex with strangers but I always used protection. Anyways now I am so happy that all that mania stopped after stopping the Abilify. I am not taking dopamine agonists like Abilify again as I read that they cause mania in some ppl by causing dopamine dysregulation syndrome.

1 Like

Thankfully I did blood tests for STDs after all this mania stopped, it was all clean.

1 Like

I think I was pretty lucky to not catch an STD.

I’m glad you didn’t catch anything.

1 Like

I agree with that!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.