Severe constipation —

So after my walk I went to the bathroom a little bit and there was blood in my stool again. The last 5 - 6 times I went there wasn’t any blood and now it pops back up again. I wiped myself and there was blood on the toilet paper as well. I went to the GI and he only talked me be for a minute and has scheduled a colonoscopy. I’m super worried and hoping this problem can be resolved somehow.

I’ve been stable for more than a year and this combination of medications is working really well for me so I’m hoping I don’t have to change medications. I’ve been drinking the prune juice mixed with apple juice and it hasn’t been helping either. I’ve been drinking 2 - 3 liters of water everyday and excercise 3 - 4 days a week. I feel so stuck and down about this because I’ve made so much progress.

Update:- I went for the colonoscopy and according to the GI I have internal hemorrhoids which can be taken care of with a cream and suppository. It’s nothing serious and other than that everything checked out fine. I think it’s the Invega causing this but it’s aomwthing I have to live with now and don’t really want to change my meds. My primary care physician said that all medications cause constipation which I’m not surprised about. I don’t know what else to do now.

6 Likes

I’m in the USA and I take Miralax (a stool softener and not a laxative) every day. It works wonders. I also drink 8-10 glasses of water a day.

2 Likes

I use a Squatty Potty and Metamucil. I occasionally take a Dulcolax tablet as well.

3 Likes

Yea i had the same thing on invega! You need some kind of stool softener or laxitive

1 Like

Glad you found your answer!! So thankful it isn’t something worse!! I hope you find long-term relief!

2 Likes

I get constipated on Zyprexa, so I take two Citrucel caplets with dinner. This fixes the problem and it is less messy than using the powder.

1 Like

An apple a day keeps the dr away. It seems to take care of my constipation.

1 Like

I’m glad it was nothing serious.

Glad they investigated thourouly.

I was on five movicol a day because it’s considered a gentle laxative.

1 Like

I literally just went through all the same things as you.

Constipation for months, then hemmorids/bleeding, never happened before, I know it’s caused by my meds. I’m on Seroquel 700mg and Klonopin 1mg.

I went to my primary care doctor (regular Dr.) and she said my AP is probably causing it. She prescribed me cream and suppository as well for the hemmoroids and then Miralax laxative to help my bowel movements.

Everything was good while I was taking the Miralax and stuff for the hermmoids, all taken care of, until the Miralax ran out and I started getting bad constipation again. I went back to my Dr. and this time she decided to place me on a long term stool softener, very common, Docusate Sodium. It just helps draw water in your bowels. Many people can safely take it long term as it’s not a laxative per say. Obviously I’m not super thrilled, and neither was my Dr., but like you I can’t do anything about my medications. It’s been several weeks now and it has 100% fixed my constipation. I take the little red gel tablet with my meds every day and I no longer strain or have constipation or any bleeding or hemorrhoids.

I suggest you talk to your doctor about a long term solution such as Docusate Sodium to bring the water into your bowels/colon and soften your stools. It’s a dehydration thing I believe, from the antipsychotic medication. I drink tons of water, excersize and everything as well and nothing else fixed it. Good luck.

2 Likes

Herbal tea sometimes helps

1 Like

My pcp told me miralax is safe daily. I take half a cap because more causes diarrhea. Stool softeners stopped working.

Taking 425mg Magnesium Malate/day, 400mg of Doctor’s Best Magnesium/day, and one or two glasses of Smooth Move Tea/day. Adjusting depending on how it’s going. When having lots of problems added prune juice and a box of raisins.

1 Like

My guess is it’s diet related. I’d advise changing to an all vegetable diet for a little bit, but be sure to get enough protein and see if it stops, then just maybe figure out what in your diet causes it. If you eat a lot of cheese and aren’t lactose intolerant this can happen. @anon84898315 's advice is also good re: magnesium and fiber.

2 Likes

Magnesium might help

1 Like

I just want to say thank you to everyone that has posted and shared their experiences. I went and bought Miralax the powdered version which is a laxative. I only bought a weeks supply because I want to see if it works. If it doesn’t than I will try something else.

Thanks once again to everyone that replied it helps a lot!!!

3 Likes

The blood may be because you irritated your rectum by wiping too hard or too much or maybe the stools were so hard that they scraped the rectum skin. This is just my opinion formed in the past when I was constipated and there were blood in my stool that went away after I got over the constipation. (hey ladies, wouldn’t you date me? Believe me, this is my main topic of conversation when I take dates to dinner).

Anyways, Magnesium citrate works great for me but one time I drank a bottle and a few minutes later I vomited it all back up because I had drank a lot of fluids and eaten too much food prior. It works great though, very reliable.(Yeah, seriously ladies I bet I sound irresistible now. You’d love, a nice, romantic midnight stroll at the beach with me comparing notes on the benefit’s of stool softeners).

But seriously, it’s possible to get dependent on laxatives and that could really be serious. Some laxatives have a warning to not take other laxatives while using theirs. Suppositories work.

3 Likes

I have a morning suggestion: raisin bran. Also basil helps.

2 Likes

@thomas - I had some questions. I started taking Docusate sodium and it worked for about a good 2 weeks. I was having regular bowel movements every morning without straining or anything. Then it stopped working and now the constipation has returned. I don’t know what else to do. I don’t know which medication is causing the constipation and so far have been stable for about a year and a half so I don’t know if I want to change the medication. I constantly feel the urge to go to the bathroom but when I go I have to strain to push out the stool and it’s only a little bit. I’m hoping this doesn’t cause any serious problems for me but if anyone else is reading this please provide some suggestions.

I’ve been having luck getting rid of constipation with large amounts of syrup and chunky peanut butter. I drink a lot of milk with it too. The only problem with it is that it makes me fat. I look like a pregnant ninety year old woman when I take off my shirt.

2 Likes