Schizophrenia.com

Setting the Record Straight on Antipsychotics

7 Likes

Wow! This is an amazing article with plain-spoken evidence and fact for the practical use of ap’s for those who truly need them, and against the fear-mongering of those who don’t. I feel more at peace with needing to take my meds.

3 Likes

I think any time there is money to be made from something, people will naturally have their suspicions. You can find the same sort of thinking with the topic of cancer, for example, as far as conspiracy theories about doctors and pharma not wanting to better prevention and treatment due to $$$ from the way things currently are.

The way I try to combat such fears is by looking at it this way:

If a pharma company could invent a medication that would successfully treat psychotic illnesses, with no side effects, they would completely dominate the market and make absolutely tons of money. Nobody is going to want to be on the inferior medications if something like that were created. So even if monetary gain was the only incentive ever for those who make medications, that would still mean that they have likely made the best ones they currently can.

3 Likes

I’ll bookmark this to refute the occasional Wackadoo that comes along. :wink:

1 Like

I gotta play the Devil’s Advocate here. Forgive me.

[lightning strikes]

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2008/mar/02/mythoftheantipsychotic

Don’t shoot me. I’m not saying one thing or the other.

[hides away]

I kinda like this guy’s take on stuff most of the time. This is a funny (but informative) piece he wrote on anti-psychotics:

http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2007/07/the_most_important_article_on.html

He does a pretty good job (IMO) in explaining dosages and how they work differently, and it can be useful info when being concerned about being too doped up (which definitely does happen to some people).

1 Like

Hello!!!

Thank you for that! I needed to read something like that. I’ll be back on medication soon because I need my driver’s license back. The safety department asked for an evaluation of a psychiatrist. It’s like I’m being forced to take medication or lose my license. It helped to read that some doctors are okay with those of us sufferers who are able to function without long-term treatment. I look forward to getting my license and going back to normalish life.

I don’t know. There was that guy in the news who charged $750.00 a pill for a drug which previously cost less than $20.00. That’s scary.

I should have specified that I like his take on explaining the psychiatry stuff. I wasn’t aware of his real life name, and so wasn’t sure if that was accurate that it’s the same guy. So I just browsed around his blog in general looking for his real name, and apparently he writes a lot more about than just psych meds. I’ve only ever accessed his work while doing Google searches for psych related things. So uh, yeah, probably should have researched all his work first before promoting his writing.

I think if you have tried going off meds a few times and your condition worsened/you relapsed then it would be foolish to carry on doing the same thing( speaking generally not specifically about you). Yes- some people don’t need long term meds and these are the ones anti meds/psychiatry types latch onto irresponsibly neglecting the fact that for many with long term psychosis going off meds can have disastrous consequences.

1 Like

I see what you mean. I didn’t mean to come across as arrogant. Generally I do better without meds. It isn’t easy. I usually stay out of the hospital longer while not on meds. Still though, it seems I get less flak when I’m on them. When I’m not on one close relative is always insisting I need the meds. It happens I guess.

Often a relative has more awareness of how a patient is acting than the patient him/herself. Especially if psychosis is taking hold. We are not always good judges of our own state of mind.

2 Likes

True enough, I’m inclined to agree. That relative suffers from their own mental illness so it gets tough, it’s like, “you need it. You need it… you need it.” Because that person does.

We don’t want to accept another person’s observations about us because we think we know our experiences better than they do. It’s probably pride.

I’ve been a subscriber by e-mail to these forums for several years, and this is the first time I’ve been incensed enough to login and respond to a thread like this. The issue is not whether APs work, they do, the problem is that for 7/10 patients the side-effects are WORSE than the illness! My doctor of over 14 years did me a favor I asked of him. I wanted him to find a peer reviewed journal that was in no way associated with big pharma. I wanted actual data, without spin and marketing, about how well patients were able to tolerate their medications.

The findings were that 7 out of 10 patients could not tolerate the side-effects after 6 months, and preferred to live with the agony of the illness rather than cope with the horrific side-effects (There are far far more than weight gain and lethargy) In my case I feel terrible electrical sensations shooting throughout my entire nervous system even at low doses well below efficacy.

If anyone here is a family member, friend or caregiver I would stringently caution you from thinking you have a clue what it’s like to take these medications. Or even better, try taking them for just 1 month. It’s not like you’ll get sick from them…right?!? Just try it, I dare you.

If you are one of the 3 out of 10 who do NOT experience severe side-effects and are able to benefit from the APs you are FORTUNATE. Count YOUR blessings, but DO NOT assume that the other 7/10 of us are invited to the party.

Sincerely,

Age 40 Diagnosed/Disabled Paranoid Schizophrenic of 14+ years, 3 years spent playing russian roulette with every atypical known to science. 3 agonizing years. The current state of pharmaceutical treatment of mental illness is APPALLING!

I was in the 7/10 until I was put on Geodon. Have you tried it yet? It works for me despite my being treatment resistent. I’m also able to function on the lowest dose, which really helps (I have a bit of positive symptom bleed-thru, but it’s manageable). I tried switching to Abilify a year or so back over cardiac concerns with Geodon and couldn’t handle the side-effects. Then it was Latuda with worse side-effects and it didn’t do much for positive symptoms.

I’d personally like a magic wand with either a phoenix feather or unicorn hair at its core. That would be a better way of dealing with Sz.

Condolences for your difficulties.

Pixel.

As I said, I’ve tried all of them, Geodon was 2nd of the 8? we tried. The side-effects were always the same, and always present. Congrats on finding something that works for you.

Whilst agreeing that some experience severe side effects many don’t. Those that don’t and accept they have an illness just quietly get on with taking the medication(moments of forgetfulness not withstanding) . When it comes to those who experience the severe side effects these will be the most vocal as with anything those who have, or think they have, a reason to complain will make the loudest noise.
Then there are those who are just opposed to medication and will use any degree of side effects however small as an excuse to rubbish medication.
I think there needs to be honesty with regards to the benefits and drawbacks of taking medication. This means neither trumpeting them as wonder drugs nor condemning them as evil. It means accepting that they cause serious side effects for some(and that better medication is desperately needed) without going over the top about it and resorting to exaggeration.