Self harm help

I have schizophrenia and suffer from self harm via cutting on my legs. Does anyone have this problem or have tips for alternative activities I could try. I have tried a lot up to this point and nothing has worked
Thanks

I used to have this problem. I eventually just stopped having the urge to. I’ve heard people stop cutting by drawing something pretty wherever they cut so that they don’t want to ruin it by cutting.

2 Likes

Wish I could help. My cutting just stopped one day.

2 Likes

It’s common here to put an elastic band around the wrist and snap it when you feel the urge

1 Like

Just think to yourself “my body is a temple”.

1 Like

I once heard a forum member say that that was a bad idea for them, because they started doing it so much and hard that they would bleed

1 Like

My self harm urges were stopped by a combo of depakote and Ativan for occasional breakthrough times. Ativan makes me calm and normal and not want to do things like that anymore.

I have not self harmed at all since these meds. Not even scratching myself.

2 Likes

Klonopin helps calm me down so I won’t want to harm anymore. only problem is staying safe until it kicks in. I had a breakthrough cutting experience two weeks ago because I was home alone and couldn’t wait for the Klonopin to kick in. But it’s usually very helpful.

What if you donated blood instead of harming yourself? You could save someone’s life!

1 Like

Certainly there are many ways to try to channel anxiety away from self destructive behavior. Perhaps chewing gum (sugarless?) or keeping hard candy available would be better. The hard candy wrappers could also give you something to fold and manipulate to lessen your desire to hold something else in hand. Having someone you trust close by helps to distract yourself for the moment and seek support you need from him/her to get you over the bad feeling. Also, bring this up to your psychiatrist to help you own and take responsibility for your thoughts and behaviors and gain control and to monitor your progress.

Alternatively, text someone. Instead of harming yourself, consider texting someone that cares about you. You can also use a piece of ice on your arms or leg or wear a rubber band and pop it if you begin to struggle with the thoughts to injure yourself. And always if you are afraid that you want to harm yourself in a way that places your life at risk, you need to call 911 or go to an emergency department. Stay safe!

1 Like

I melt the Klonopins under my tongue for times faster action is needed. Tastes pleasant which is weird for pills. My psydoc recommended this for super bad times.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip! I will definitely use and share this! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you everyone for the great tips

You’re welcome. Hope it helps.

1 Like

Some things I do to calm down are:

Put an ice pack on the back of your head. This will cool down your brain and reduce activity in your limbic system, where emotions happen.

Do a task with simple, clear steps. I like baking. I follow the recipe, and it’s easy enough that I don’t get frustrated, but it requires enough concentration that I don’t have room to think about other things. Cleaning also helps.

Engage your five senses. This will remind you what is real and what isn’t. Listen to soothing music. Smell something pleasant, like an essential oil. Suck on a hard candy. Look at pictures of things you enjoy. Feel something with an interesting texture, like a piece of Velcro or a stress ball.

5 Likes

Ive struggled with SH too. But i did it on my left arm and i just got tired of explaining to my poor mum and gramma why i did that. The only thing i do is think to myself do i really need another scar. Sorry i know thats not very helpful.

1 Like

There are a lot of different reasons people cut. If you can identify the reason you do it you can start to change the behavior. There is no single reason why people do it or what they feel when doing it. If you know what purpose it serves for you you can work on cultivating habits that provide the same feeling in a different way. For me it was very physical so some sort of physical exercise helped calm the urge. It can be hard to stop and the behavior can be addictive so it can take some real work to stop. It looks like you’ve already made the first step by looking for alternatives.

2 Likes

I never cut but when I was younger I learned to tattoo on myself. I got the basics down and did decent work on others but mine look terrible and looking back now it was my way of release. Also skateboarding…so much pain inflicted on yourself in skateboarding!

1 Like

I used to cut my arms quite alot. But i sorta grew out of it. But one thing i did was have the scars covered with tattoos - it puts me off cutting now cos i now dont wanna ruin them!

2 Likes

I had the self harm problem - cut on my arm but over the years I learned to control my emotions that lead to those urges. Once the people in the hospital taught me to snap an elastic band to feel pain and for some time it worked - i wore an elastic round my arm. Later i stopped and slipped into self harm again. Usually when my emotions were agitated.

The thing that helps me the most now is thinking of my husband and how he’d feel if i hurt myself - i’d hurt him too. My love for my husband brings me through and I mostly succeed in controlling my self harm urges.

2 Likes