Schizophrenia / Mental Health Treatment in 3rd World Countries - some examples

The trouble is you want support but are unwilling to give it, preferring to spout antipsychiatry propaganda.
It would be different if you had some intelligent and reasonable criticisms of psychiatry to make.

1 Like

Choosing for yourself not to take meds is one thing but spouting propaganda designed to scare people into not taking theirs is another.
@darksith is not here with an agenda .

3 Likes

I’m not trying to convert him. It’s his life, if he doesn’t want meds that’s cool. I just fight the outright lies and falsehoods he spreads.

Are meds perfect? No. Can some people function without them? Yes. But the majority do need them. Taking meds is not like having a labotomy. We are not in the dark ages of psychiatry. Meds help.

It is important to fight against these false ideas about medication. People need to know the truth. It is hard enough to take meds without reading all this fear mongering. Regardless of what many believe, this is a site devoted to evidence based treatment and support. The evidence that anti-psychotics are the best treatment for schizophrenia is not in question, it is almost universally accepted. It would be wrong of us to not fight for the truth.

Oh and just a note, homeopathy is horseshit.

3 Likes

Basically, drink water. Get cured.

2 Likes

http://www.1023.org.uk/what-is-homeopathy.php

Well out of your many post, you finally have two that say anything about your illness. Coming here to argue is not asking for support. You have alot of answers from people who take medicine and if it were a lobotomy they wouldn’t be taking it. We support you if you don’t want to take medicine, but most don’t continue to try and convince others that they don’t need it either. Move on. You will find if you read this site for long that medicine does work, from real people, not statistics.

1 Like

I think pschiatry needs a change .see i personally feel alternate medicine is better for me . but i have seen people for whom conventional medicine has worked better .I think an integrative approach is required .for example conventional medicine has its advantages like speed . alternate medicine has better results for milder cases and after a given period of time seems to eliminate the root cause at least in milder cases .

conventional medicine is good for an emergency .the problem is over use .also some doctors dont give counselling much . also the basics of exercise and good diet are not emphasized which could lead to better results .It is not so much the problem of the medications as much as the overuse of it .also different induviduals have different ways of reacting to differnet medicines by the time they find te appropriate one
people get frustrated .alternate medicine has subclassification

i personally advocate meds for most cases. they don’t work for me as my “illness” is trauma induced as opposed to an organic brain disease. i take them because i have kids and just in case they keep a lid on my symptoms. all i do know is, they don’t work for voices, though i’m experimenting with all of them to see if any work for voices. i will try them all one by one. i don’t think you can do anything else really. i think you have to eliminate them all so that you can make an informed choice as to whether or not they work for you. i take the scientific approach and i don’t think you can do anything else. if nothing works and you can function without them then so be it but i don’t think that’s right for the vast majority.

Recent developments on schizophrenia treatment from MNT news
Researchers at the University of Iowa found that higher dosages of anti-psychotic medications resulted in the loss of more brain tissue. They also found that brain scans after patients’ first psychotic episode revealed that they had less brain tissue than healthy people without schizophrenia.
Head investigator, Professor Nancy Andreasen, said “This was a very upsetting finding. We spent a couple of years analyzing the data more or less hoping we had made a mistake. But in the end, it was a solid finding that wasn’t going to go away, so we decided to go ahead and publish it. The impact is painful because psychiatrists, patients, and family members don’t know how to interpret this finding. ‘Should we stop using antipsychotic medication? Should we be using less?’”
POSTED FROM THE LINK

like is said maybe it is the proportion that can be argued beacuse of brain shrinkage possibilities

Homeopathy is a synonym of ■■■■■■■■.

1 Like

http://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2014/nov/06/mentally-ill-health-typhoon-haiyan-philippines-caged-chained-video