Schizophrenia has ruined my life

I dropped out uni in 2017. Started working. Became psychotic again and then dropped out of work. My derealization anxiety is so bad right now I don’t think I am even capable of working. I really don’t know what to do. I don’t want to live like this anymore. I want to move forward. I’m gonna research anti anxiety meds online and ask my pdoc what aa meds would be appropriate for derealization.

Todays derealization was triggered by social anxiety at my cousins house. Then I had to get buses home but luckily my sister walked with me to the first bus stop otherwise I would’ve struggled to find it. I don’t think benzos can be taken long term due to side effects, dependency and withdrawal symptoms but I have a feeling they might be the only thing that can cure me. Wish me luck :disappointed::confounded::sob:

1 Like

Did you have derealization when you were on your meds.

4 Likes

Sz messed me up too. Hope you feel better

1 Like

Yeah I had derealization with and without Ap’s.

If I only had it off meds I’d jump straight back onto the Ap’s without hesitation

2 Likes

Is deralization a part of schizophrenia

Truth is you gotta do what you gotta do to get through it. We mess ourselves up by being too sensitive in situations were it is not needed. It makes a mess of things when we think being sensitive is being kind to others. Dont be fake but act as you would and push throughand talk likeyou would lovebefore your illness

That’s exactly what I would like to know. I can’t tell if this is part of the schizophrenia or if it is a separate condition. I think it might be separate cos I don’t have any schizophrenic symptoms, but the derealization was definitely caused by going through psychosis twice. I never had it after my 1st episode. Only after my 2nd.

1 Like

I think it might be a dissociative disorder. But hope you get better. Contact your pdoc right away if it gets worse

1 Like

Look up Trivium and Quadrivium, buddy. You can’t do this without logic and defining yourself…inside. You don’t know what you are, so you don’t know what’s wrong. It’s the saddest way to be living these days.

I know myself and a friend from this website have gone this way, and we are virtually non-sz anymore. We work, hold relationships, converge on prospects, measures, and means.

I will add to this that only people that see themselves as playing the role of thinker, philosopher, scientist, researcher, writer kinds of things among their friends, family, community, and the world will take this route. If you see yourself as something else, you just won’t do it. You’re hormones won’t allow it. The drive to get through this learning stuff comes from your endocrine system of hormones, and if it’s not right from a “tribic sense” or “tribic meaning” in you, then it won’t push you through what needs to get done in you.

So consider that.

It ruins a lot of lives. You just have to pick up the pieces of what’s left in your life and make the most of it. It could always be worse. When I first got sick I had nothing going for me. I was 20 years old and I had no money or job and I was severely ill. I had no friends or girlfriend or no car. But I just muddled through and eventually by taking my medication, following suggestions and letting people help me I got a semblance of life. Now at age 57 I get happy and I like myself. I’ve been employed most of the time since 1983 and lived in some nice places and had friends. Now all the fun times AND all the crappy times I survived and all my hard work all conspire to help me feel good about myself.

10 Likes

I understand most of how you feel, it took a lot from me and my family too. I had high expectations which I now think were too high for me. But it is what it is and you got to do what you got to do to strive. Make the best out of your situation and follow doctors orders. Get help when you can. I hope you feel better soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

When I told my pdoc that I have derealization, he said it’s part of schizophrenia

2 Likes

Schizophrenia sucks. Why’s it have to happen to the good dudes, the good gals. @StonePaperScissors over here one chill ass dude. Then we got the torturer, the abusive one, and the trickster walking the streets clean like nothing ever happened.

Baffles me sometimes

Pardon my 3 nicknames for these

3 Likes

I have depersonalisation which is similar…you may need a stay in hospital if it gets worse…I hope things improve for you

1 Like

Same. I first thought “OMG, I think I have schizoaffective or schizophrenia like my mom” when I had a really severe break of reality / derealization. I went to the doc. The first one dismissed me and made me cry, but there second one (now my current doc) diagnosed it as part of my psychosis along with my other symptoms.

2 Likes

Please give your doctor a call. You need sound medical advice right now. Does your pdoc know that you quit your AP? I cant remember from your other thread.

I experienced derealization when I first went psychotic. It really sucks and I’m sorry you are experiencing it.

1 Like

My doctor knows I’m off aps. Been off them for one month now. No sz symptoms. I only suffer from derealization anxiety which is separate from the sz I think, but caused by going through a 2nd psychotic episode. Psychosis must have altered something in my brain.

@StonePaperScissors can you give me some insight on how exactly you feel when you experiance derealization anxiety. Does it feel like your eyes strain to close when going to sleep? Does the feeling go away after a waking up the next day? I ask because I’m also on invega and I don’t know much about derealization. I want to know if I am going through the same derealization anxiety symptoms as you.

Never ever ever stop taking your meds trust me talk to your Pysch

1 Like

I don’t know what u mean by ‘strain to close’, but when derealization occurs I get a foggy mind, I feel unfocused and disconnected from my surroundings. Lights seem brighter as well. Also I don’t know where to look when it happens. When I’m relaxed I’ll look around or straight in front of me but with derealization I just don’t know where to look. It’s a weird feeling.