Schizoid...schizotypal

what is schizoid…do you know and what is schizotypal…are they the same thing…and why do they have schizo at the start of the word when its not schizophrenia

I think these fall under the lower end of the spectrum

Someone else correct me if I am wrong

2 Likes

It’s a spectrum I think

Schizoid …> schizotypal …> schizophrenia.

The first two are personality types.

2 Likes

The World Health Organization’s ICD-10 uses the name schizotypal disorder (F21). It is classified as a clinical disorder associated with schizophrenia, rather than a personality disorder as in DSM-5.[20]

2 Likes

I stand corrected. Thanks @firemonkey

1 Like

At the end of the day it’s just a different classification for what’s basically the same thing .

2 Likes

There was talk of Avoidant PD being a sz spectrum personality disorder .

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17306508/ Not heard much about that since then .

I acutally just watched this video yesterday. Both are personality disorders.

1 Like

Good link @John_Raven

1 Like

I’m schizotypal, we are pretty much the same as schizophrenics, but its rare to have hallucinations for a longer period when you are schizotypal.

Some consider schizotypal as a milder form of schizophrenia, but i met schizophrenics that cope better than schizotypals. They got all the negative symptoms as well, often depressed.

Schizoids are more of a withdrawn character, they often live alone and they are not bothered about being a “loner”.
Schizotypals wants to have company, but rarely succeed.

I have had a few schizoids friends, very nice people, but not interested in friendship.

1 Like

I used to think I was schizoid, when I was isolating. I still might be – I have absolutely zero desire to form relationships with people. But I don’t know if schizoid and schizophrenia can be comorbid.

Edit: Schizoids are in touch with reality, and don’t feel paranoid or have hallucinations.

2 Likes

Schizoids and schizotypes are “healthy” carriers of the genotype. They are found in relatives of schizophrenics. My father has schizoid character traits.

I just read WIKI about schizotypals and since im schizotypal, im certain about this, at least:

“Those with STPD may react oddly in conversations, not respond or talk to themselves.[1] They frequently interpret situations as being strange or having unusual meaning for them”

I just went to a shop, and had the most awkward conversation with the woman behind the desk. And i talk to myself even when silent.

schizoid vs schizotypical

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.