Schizoaffective disorder vs schizophrenia

What is the distinction between this and schizophrenia?

Eight syllables versus five syllables? :smiley:

10-96

1 Like

Mood disorders bipolar depression on top of sz. That’s sza.

1 Like

Schizoaffective disorder is basically Schizophrenia with a coexisting mood disorder - either bipolar (SZA bipolar type) or
depression (SZA depressive type)

3 Likes

I have been diagnosed at one time with schizoaffective disorder; but, I think it was really made up by the professionals because of their fear of explanation and trying to discover what is really going on in our sadly sick mind/body/spirits.

1 Like

It’s not fun. It’s known for making people behave more abnormally than schizophrenia alone and is harder to treat. It is a major mood disorder with schizophrenia, namely bipolar (type 1 or 2) or major depressive disorder or mood disorder NOS. I’m pretty sure that’s the big picture

3 Likes

http://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/585155

It’s not a fun time is what it is

Schizoaffective disorder seems more serious than schizohrenia but it is not. It has better prognosis than schizophrenia, because when there are mood issues in schizophrenia, it has better prognosis. Sadness or mania is better mark than flat affect, blunted affect, because these are more connected with poor outcome. Others said the others differences.

3 Likes

I get the moods but also get flat effect too and avolition

depression can be present in schizophrenia too sometimes in life-time, but is more rare when people have more severe negative symptoms. mood issues and flat affect do not go together in my opinion. maybe only if flat affect is not permanent and severe.

According to WebMD: Schizoaffective disorder is a serious mental illness that has features of two different conditions – schizophrenia, and an affective (mood) disorder that may be diagnosed as either major depression or bipolar disorder.

Schizophrenia is a brain disorder that distorts the way a person thinks, acts, expresses emotions, perceives reality, and relates to others.

In theory I think they mean Schizophrenia doesn’t mean a person’s mods are out of wack. You don’t have to be depressed, or bipolar to have Schizophrenia, but to be Schizoaffective you have you have to have the underlying mood disorder attached to it. I think I tend to border along Schizoaffective because I tend to have very severe depression along with schizophrenic symptoms such as high paranoia, voices/uncontrollable noise in my head, disillusion thinking and so on.

With the DSM5 mood symptoms have to be present for 50% or more of the illness for a schizoaffective dx to be made. Less than that and it would be schizophrenia with depression.

The primary change to schizoaffective disorder is the requirement that a major mood episode be present for a majority of the disorder’s total duration after Criterion A has been met.

With the ICD 10 : A diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder should be made only when both definite schizophrenic and definite affective symptoms are prominent simultaneously, or within a few days of each other, within the same episode of illness, and when, as a consequence of this, the episode of illness does not meet criteria for either schizophrenia or a depressive or manic episode.

http://www.obad.ca/information_schizoaffective#sddg

Yeah all my symptoms come and go as they so please.

my doctor told me schizoaffective is more like very psychotic bi-polar. im diagnosed schizoaffective.

Yes, my pdoc basically told me the same - I think it depends on how much mood instability one has