Sage Therapeutics Reports Positive Top-line Results from Phase 2

64% of patients in this small study achieved remission-level results from major depressive disorder.

It is a GABA-A receptor PAM.

4 Likes

Do u see this becoming a tool in sz?

This specifically, I don’t know. Perhaps it will be useful to treat depression comorbid with sz. I don’t know what effects it might have on anxiety, but you might suspect it would have some. I don’t know if it’s clear yet if this could be addictive, like alcohol, or benzos.

Thought this article on GABA PAMs in sz was encouraging.

“Moreover, cortical structural changes are much more subtle than those associated with Alzheimer’s at the deficit stage [48–50]. This suggests that unlike Alzheimer’s disease, which is a progressive neurodegenerative disorder, schizophrenia cognitive disruption may be due more to a disruption of cortical function. As a result, one would predict that the cognitive disruption of schizophrenia may be more readily “fixed” by restoring system function. This could be achieved by normalizing oscillatory activity via compensation for loss of selective interneuron types. Ionotropic γ-aminobutyric acid type A (GABAA) receptors, both synaptic and extrasynaptic, are primary targets of fast-spiking PV-expressing interneurons.”

1 Like

I didn’t understand everything but this part: “unlike Alzheimer’s disease, which is a progressive neurodegenerative disorder, schizophrenia cognitive disruption may be due more to a disruption of cortical function. As a result, one would predict that the cognitive disruption of schizophrenia may be more readily “fixed” by restoring system function.” sounds promising and quite “positive”.

1 Like