Risperidone. Memory and cognitive abilities

Hi All,

My name is Kevin. I have been on respiridone for the past 12 months. I started on 0.5mg for a week and progressed to 5mg for 2-3 months. I now currently reside in the range of 1.5 - 2mg.

I am untertaking a Masters in a new field to my undergrad and would like some advice; I am trying to test my memory and cognitive abilities. I am aware that risperidone may affect me in this sense, hence I am on the lowest dose which feels comfortable, 1.5mg.

Anyone here studying / working, can confirm any negative affects from risperidone or any other AP. Do you think your memory is impaired etc.

Thanks

Kevin

If you’re only looking for evidence to confirm your hypothesis, then you’re not really doing this right.

I’m on Seroquel and I wouldn’t be able to study without it. Sure, it would be better with no side-effects, but then there wouldn’t be an effect, either. I will try to change my dose soon to see if I can reduce the side-effects. But I’m on a pretty high dose and doing pretty well.

3 Likes

Hi Treebeard,

Thanks for the reply, I do agree with your assertation in my approach to this. Maybe I have worded this wrong etc, I am sure there are plenty of people who can confirm the negatives about a particular drug but forget about the positives. I know for myself , risperidone has allowed me to focus more on day to day things. So maybe it has a benefial effect vs my abilities without the drug

1 Like

If you’re concerned about cognitive impairment, you can always ask for a neuropsych evaluation. They test your cognitive abilities and let you know where you’re struggling. But it’s important to remember, like @anon9798425 said, any deficits might not be from the meds. Schizophrenia itself also causes cognitive impairment.

2 Likes

Sza/sz both affect cognitive abilities so there is no way to isolate the medication as a cause without stopping it and waiting for negative symptoms to manifest from the disease. Not a good idea

I know because I experience bouts of impaired memory and cognitive function from the disease- before taking risperdone.

2 Likes

Personal experience wants to say yes, but it is kind of mixed. Meds slow down my thinking abilities. It’s hard to do mental math. On the plus side, meds seem to keep me out of the hospital and prevent further cognitive decline/memory loss. It is the illness too.

You’re on a lower dose, so you’ll see less effects.

I like Vraylar, but it seems to interfere with my motivation.

2 Likes

Hi Kevin I am on risperidone 4.5 mg from the past 7 years ,sometimes I am on 6 mg , it does affect cognitive abilities to some extent. But risperidone has helped me to live a better life , so consider both the pros and cons.You can approach your pdoc and discuss this with him, he may perhaps have a better opinion.