Relationship with your psychiatrist

what’s your relationship with your psychiatrist?
does she pick up the phone every time you need them?
she is the only person that i can talk freely to and she knows so much about me. she is like a demigod that saves me from the mess of my own head.
she is like a therapist also. we talk very much.
but I feel i am a bit too attached to her, like a baby to his mum. I feel it’s not that healthy…

I’ve been underwhelmed by a couple of psychiatrists in the past. They didn’t seem to offer much insight into my mental illness. I probably just wasn’t ready to benefit from psychotherapy, but if seemed like I was getting hostility from one of them, when I had done nothing wrong. I was kind of thinking “Aren’t you supposed to be on my side? Aren’t you supposed to be trying to help me?”

2 Likes

My psychiatrist really knows her meds.
She also treats me like a Human, which makes me feel comfortable.
If I need her I contact her through her private cell phone.
She responds immediately.

2 Likes

I have had 3 psychiatrists since I’ve been diagnosed with schizophrenia in 2002. Each psychiatrist has a different approach in diagnosing my symptoms. They are all different in education and experience.

1 Like

He is very busy so I only see him rarely, with my ex pdoc we had frequent therapy sessions but we realized that they were almost useless because my issues aren’t related to my behaviour.

I detested the first one… I felt she wasn’t listening to my symptoms… I had a sz dx at the time… now I never see the same one so can’t answer this… but the last one was nice… and listened…

1 Like

Psychiatric services of state hospitals in my country assign medical officer randomly to the mentally ill. When these medical officers cannot decide, they would refer to the head of psychiatric department, who is a psychiatrist.

The other option is consult a private psychiatrist and pay for it.

1 Like

I’ve never really had a “bad” psychiatrist so I guess I am lucky. Some are better than others definitely. I just switched over to a new resident he seems knowledgeable. We’ll see!

My psychiatrist has never picked up a phone call from me. I do have his number but he’s never answered. He also has his sister as his secretary she answers. We have a good relationship, I make him laugh, he compliments me on my progress a lot, he’s a little hard headed and old school but hes a good guy. I think we have a good relationship and a good predicament. He is great with the meds but not great at the psychotherapy stuff… Freud would not be happy with him all that much… But I guess that’s why hes a pdoc and not a tdoc. Because he really understands health and meds, much less than human disposition.

I see a Psychiatric Physicians Assistant now through telemeds. We don’t have a Pdoc or Tdoc in our town. We do have a couple of clinicians but I don’t have a connection with any of them. My last clinician moved away to go work with people who were in crisis. He liked the rush of that he said. Our medical clinic has someone I could see through the monitor but I’m not sure of his qualifications. I should look into that I guess. It’s probably about time I started working on some of my issues again, I’ve taking a long break from therapy. Whenever I’m in crisis I go to the ER or call 18002738255 the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline for the US.

Well I have been discharged from my psychiatrist as I have gotten better and now I see a psychiatrist every few months for a few minutes and it goes reasonably well. I’m not attached but I think you may be experiencing transference…

As long as there is at least four feet of space between us then I can get along with any psychiatrist.

My psychiatrist does not care much. I ask his opinion on my opinion and if he agrees, I switch medication or do certain things. He prescribes me and sends me off. Once I asked if I can switch him with another doctor, so he started ‘paying more attention’ asking about my relationship and uncontrollable laughter :unamused:

I leave him messages but it takes such a long time.

1 Like

She’s pretty good.
Typically if there’s a problem I call the nurse and the nurse goes to her within the same day.
Sometimes we talk about politics a little or life in general.
She generally seems to know her stuff.

My doctors have been horrific. My current psychiatrist is the best yet, but won’t our meeting go past 5 minutes or he’ll huff and look at his watch at my last meeting I walked in and he said he wants to have dinner with family so he hopes to leave early… yea I’m still looking for someone

I’m connected to a psych nurse, and she talks to the psychiatrist for me when I need changes in my meds.
But the one I had is stopping, so I’m getting another one. Oh, I hope she’s nice!

I’ve had some good and some bad shrinks in the past. One seemed very set on having me figure out my gender preference because she worried I was fooling myself into forcing myself to feel things for people I didn’t really like.

I don’t care what gender someone has as long as their personality is one I can deal with, lol :stuck_out_tongue:
Needless to say, she and I didn’t see each other much.

I like my pdoc because he knows his stuff. But, I am annoyed that he always tests me. Like I tell him that I can’t take having people behind me anymore. So at the end of our appointment, he followed me out. Makes me not want to tell him things I think I can test… Anyone else have a pdoc that tries to get reactions out of you like that?

My relationship with my shrink changes from appointment to appointment. Sometimes he understands me, sometimes not. Sometimes I trust him, sometimes not. Sometimes I am real to him, sometimes not. I am changing and growing so that means our relationship is changing, too.
You could ask your pdoc to start "weaning " you a little if you feel you are too dependent on her, @Om_Sadasiva

1 Like

Mental care in family refused to explain anything and realized my sister had same thing happen and in-laws straightened her out. I don’t go near in-law mental care any more…

County clinic started to hire some really aggressive verbally abusive kid staffers for case management…I was working there a bit at time and did not return after seeing how this went…Had price gouging for med shots start so needed to look at other options anyway.

Checked out other care and accepted different DR. She treats the insomnia good enough so I can function. Her care has problems like treating sex harassment victims from the college to ‘delusional disorder’ diagnosis. I even knew the staff by first name and chit-chat basis but college started to hire some bad ones so needed rescue from Disability Supports to get through this instructor’s problems - homework was going out with him. “I drove my wife crazy and I want people to hang out with me.” He crashed my class computer when I went to my job instead of the bar. I support myself and needed that job to pay house payment…Used my laptop in class instead…Let students threaten me and talk nutty loudly during class. I found out dean planned to ignore this stuff so I didn’t return for next semester…Classes are so out of date and nothing is compatible with other software classes so is ripoff anyway. Teacher quit when I went to Disability Supports but previous doctor just called it harassment…Passed class okay.

Hit paranoid schizo in 2009 when I told off abusive relationship and counseling was USELESS. Told to chew gum or hum for voices and no coping, even dealing with abusive relationship. Tried to talk about abusive childhood. She asked if anyone else say it and I answer, No. She said , SSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! With finger at mouth and changed subject.

Attacked by 10 staff in mental hospital when cooperating. Clothing yanked off this PTSD sufferer by 10 people…No discussion of ‘treatment plan’ and my in-laws worked at hospital…

Was never in hospital but twice as everyone shared their stories so had a clue what causes system here to bite and what areas of state have REALLY bad abuse scams. Learned TONS just networking with other consumers but area here has gotten so bad, discrimination/hostility/harassment are awful even for a silent normal, I’m much more isolated after social groups & business networking started to attack each other. I know what happened to some of the other attack situations so not worth it to get involved with anything here…Many had to go to work online just to keep working after screwed a couple times at bad employers here and no unemployment or BLACKBALLED by business networking/threatened with ruin for finding you again. Have to get recommendation letters for work in writing as some will change story later…have lots of passive aggressives around this place. Keep resume off the big job search sites and only give out to places out of town. Not searchable on Facebook/Linkedin…Portfolio needs to be search engine blocked in METAs.

it’s natural to be attached to your doc. who else can save you?