Relating to siblings

Never doubt the value of your life. In the end, you write your own story. The best thing to do is to expand your comfort zone, see what kind of work you can do and how much stress you can handle, and at the same time, try different meds at different doses and keep faith in modern medicine. There is more hope than ever for us schizophrenics today than there ever was.

Never let your ego deteriorate. Fight for your life. I know that is headstrong, but I have proven it to work. When I had episodes, I kept in mind that my life was on the line, and I forced myself to go to school as much as I could and cram for exams even when I was psychotic and scanning the room with paranoid eyes, ignoring the constant voices. I figured that I either did or did not, and trying was not part of itā€¦just like what Yoda from Star Wars said! LOL

But I will not lie, a life with schizophrenic symptoms is a constant struggle. It is so satisfying to achieve despite this handicap, and that is how I made it through my darkest times, with my homework finished, a bottle in one hand and a cigarette in the other, unorthodox, unhealthy, but functioning. Just steer clear of drugs and alcohol, they may relieve the symptoms but being an alcoholic was no fun and it was not fun having to detox.

Itā€™s all about doing what you can, no more and no less.

2 Likes

Maybe they think you should just get over it. Because they donā€™t understand that schizophrenia is caused by a genetic mutation. People all the time think I should just want to stop talking to my voices. Voices are common thing for people who are over stressed. Except those people just need a good nights sleep. When you have the genetic illness only meds make them go away. Thats what I tell people who donā€™t understand the disorder. But at bars you run into people who think that way and I HATE it.

Hi Boris, I am in full remission. No more voices.

1 Like

@mortimermouse

A few years ago, I planned to go for teaching and researching in the university. Now that Iā€™ve got the diagnosis, I donā€™t know if that would be too stressful for me.

I will begin working in an office soon. It is like I just let whatever happens to me happens. I donā€™t know if I could do anything better than that.

2 Likes

Thats right, there is a small part of me that forgives him for behaving like an ass, but there is an even bigger part of me that says, you know my brother is acting like an ignorant selfish moron about it. Yes you are so right, if I had cancer or even autism,he would understand this a lot better, maybe even show some sympathy or something.
My brother has a Masters and majored in Psych undergad - He should know better, I am thinking he is just a selfish brainwashed ass who is easily swayed by his wife. He needs to be his own man, because when he is not controlled by his wife, he shows himself to be more human. We have had our run ins in the past - she likes to feed him ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  and lies about me and our Mom and especially Dad. I now have to take a chill pill - :pill:

2 Likes

My brothers both took Environmental Science at Cornell University in upstate NY. They treat me like a one legged midget that should not been seen out in public. One bother even has his 7 year old daughter in beauty pageants. :princess:

Take it easy! Cool down, guy!

My beef is really with her, she most likely suffers from borderline and knows how to manipulate him to get what she wants from him - :moneybag: I have injected some drama into my post, Im not all that stirred up :wink:

1 Like

Then I would suggest u to listen to SurprisedJ and Wave, directing your attention to somewhere else. Get together with someone who want to have u in their lives. :rage:

1 Like

My ex-wife was borderline and extremely controlling. It helped me when angry at her to remind myself that she became borderline do to a bad childhood that was out of her control.

My brother looked down on me ever since he was a senior in high school. But a few years ago he got married and had a daughter and know understands that other people have feelings. He still plays domineering games but I also know he isnā€™t conscious of doing it. Although I am. I hope when my mom dyes he will stop trying to be better than me and stop talking down to me because it will just be the two of us. No triangle.

im themiddle child of 3 girls my older sister disowned me when i was homeless
as did my younger sister me and my younger sister have always been close my older sister and i butt heads at times. i think it was the opposite thing i am my mothers ā€œinjured chickā€ and we are very close and she and my mother arent that close our relationship is a bit strained but we know we love each other. my younger sis and i share the same sense of humour and laugh a lot together.

My ex wife had borderline as well, and probably bipolar - She caused a lot of damage, but I do know about borderlines and bad childhoods. I can forgive her, but I cannot forget

2 Likes

That makes me feel upset,I feel sorry for your situation.
I think if you want to take up a job you could but nothing to hard on yourself,you could even work at home in your room online or something if you would like,do something you know you will be able to manage without much or no difficulties.
Take care,wish you well.
Send me am inbox if you ever want or need to talk.
Also some of my family and friends act in that way, some friends have said they donā€™t want to come and see me and I quote ā€˜I donā€™t think I can handle your schizophreniaā€™
Some family try and even wind me up or not understand why I may freak out or something and freak out at me and make it worse, a lot of family try and pretend Iā€™m not there too, I know itā€™s because they donā€™t want to talk to me because of my illness,one of my cousins has even tried blaming me for knocking an ashtray let and saying ā€˜one of your voices probably told you to do itā€™ .
Itā€™s not nice being treated like this but I still have my dad that supports me :slight_smile:

1 Like

I only talk about my delusions to schizophrenics. Its too weird for normal people.

If u donā€™t feel comfortable, then donā€™t. :smile:

Yes me too,I have tried to talk to other people about them in the past and they have just made me really angry by saying Iā€™m wrongā€¦ And possibly thinking Iā€™m crazy. @Boris

Itā€™s hard for siblings to relate. Iā€™ve had both of mine tell me as much. From what you describe, it sounds like they just canā€™t deal so they choose to ignore you.

Iā€™m not sure what Iā€™d do in that situation. Even though both of my siblings at first didnā€™t know how to deal, after about 10 years things got way better.

Iā€™d say give them time, but theyā€™ve had enough time already to figure things out. No one should make you feel bad for something you did not choose to have.

2 Likes