Question for those of you who don't work: what specifically is preventing you from working?

I’m interested to see if it’s mainly positive, negative, or cognitive symptoms for most of you.

anxiety is the main reason. i’m schizo, but i could probably hold down a full time job if that was all i had.

2 Likes

Because getting through every day takes all my resources. I have combined all my coping mechanisms to survive as I am right now and to have enjoyment of life. To add a full time job to that would make life impossible for me. Some days are better than others. Symptoms ‘motivation’ lacking bad, anxiety, visions, paranoia, cognitive fatigue, sustaining follow through of tasks, trouble thinking, energy, hygiene, and some psychosis but mostly when very ill but still get some hallucinations that’s just a few I could think of for you

3 Likes

i can work, but fear losing medicaid. the whole thing of going back to work and reporting wages and maybe having to switch to a cheaper medicine is preventing me from working at the moment.

3 Likes

being able to get out of the house and the stress that the job gives. But the biggest thing is that am afraid to go outside so going to work is not possible. And if I would be able to go outside the stress of the job will trigger relapse…

3 Likes

I’ll be able to work today. Just taking a post meal break.

1 Like

Because my kid with psychosis was kicked out of school and needs full-time care, so I homeschool the kid.

But since we are looking at rejoining public school next year, I am considering trying to work but afraid it will end in terrible disaster. I think for me, it would be mostly negative symptoms.

2 Likes

Too many things but i plan on going back soon.

1 Like

Severe social anxiety
cognitive symptoms(executive functioning,difficulty showing initiative, getting to work-poor sense of direction,)

Needed-Full assessment of strengths and weaknesses. Employment very close to where I live. Preferably work from home.

2 Likes

Having a poor filter. I guess that falls under cognitive.

2 Likes

Severe negative symptoms. These meds make feel too sedated and drugged/low dopamine.

Negative Symptoms
Positive Symptoms (Paranoia) (Delusions)
Anxiety
Mood Symptoms (Depression/Mania)
Cognitive Issues

I think that about covers it as to why I can’t work or even volunteer part time.

3 Likes

Positive symptoms/delusions.

Lack of motivation is the worst. Cognitive symptoms, negatives, paranoia, delusions, poor grooming and hygiene, and depression i guess. I lost like 10+ iq points which took a huge tool.on my self esteem and what i can do anymore…

3 Likes

Both positive and negative symptoms for me. I was a Creative Director. My last job I had for 10 years. Paranoia, colleagues conspiring to get rid of me, cameras, bugs. Attempted suicide, was out for 3 mos. I also lost ability to be creative. Company did know what was wrong with me. They finally found a reason to get rid of me when covid hit. I haven’t worked since. Will not work ever again.

2 Likes

Can’t keep a job down. Unable to work well with people in person and typically have great trouble trying to communicate. Always been a people pleaser.

3 Likes

Technically, I’m unemployed due to COVID

1 Like

Soon my co-workers will see how boring, stupid and incompetent I am and will secretly talk about me daily. First they’ll troll for amusement, but eventually will turn malicious toward me and I’ll be trapped with no help.

I have three years work experience in office and newspaper layout, and at only one job did things end okay.

2 Likes

Mostly, I can barely walk down the street half the time. Can barely do the things, I’m supposed to be doing, just to stay alive.

I’m afraid of:

1. The job interview. (so why have you not worked for 11 years? Finding appropriate clothes)
  2. transportation.
  3. Fear of losing medicaid
  4. Bad feet, and ankles making it difficult to remain standing for long periods of time
  5. Bad sleeping habits. Falling asleep in the middle of the day.
  6. Trouble with reading due to bad eyesight.
  7. I won’t do a good job.
  8. socialization difficulties.
  9. degrading job skills
  10. working for nothing if I follow the rules.
3 Likes