Question about injections

My psychiatrist won’t stop bringing up getting a monthly injection and I’m wondering are there injection forms for ALL anti psychotics?

I’m on perphenazine but I’ve never heard of someone getting that as a monthly or however long shot.

I more hear about invega or abilify. Stuff like that.

4 Likes

If your present med is working for you, why would your pdoc want to change it? Usually they want injections if they think you are not dependable enough to take your pills as prescribed. Jabs are painful. I’d fight for the right to take meds in pill form.

2 Likes

I LOVE the injection. I can’t remember to take pills so it is perfect for me.

2 Likes

That’s why she wants me on it because I keep stopping my meds over time, and also because it’s hard for me to remember to take it even when I’ve set alarms.

3 Likes

Yeah I’m suppose to take medicine three times a day and I don’t always remember.

2 Likes

I get injection cause when I get depressed I’m known to stop taking meds, so they don’t trust me

1 Like

I live in an Adult Foster Care home because I couldn’t get my meds right. Here at the home, they pass meds to you and they take charge of it all.

3 Likes

I get injections and oral

1 Like

But is there an injection form for perphenazine?

If you think if it will help you take your meds as needed then I would say go for it. But I’d personally try to find a way to take them orally. I’ve got no other ideas than alarms though. I take meds 3x a day. Sometime I forget the 2nd dose but I always remember within an hour or two.

1 Like

I live in supported living and the staff manage meds, they are kept in the office.

I have the injection though, just because I’ve been noncompliant in the past and they put me on a CTO.

2 Likes

@anon4362788 I remeber you told me you get lumps from the invega sustenna too. Did they ever inject into a lump? Reason I ask is I am having difficulty. I suggested to them to start to inject it in my bum because my arms is full of lumps and they won’t. The doctor said its okay that the nurse can just inject around it. But there are so many lumps I know for sure she is injecting in the lumps. My doctor said thats fine if it gets injected into a lump. I get really stressed out about this. I wish I could go to the mental health clinic to get it injected because they deal with that med more. But because I was with them and I canceled them. They wont take me back.

2 Likes

I did a google search and yes there is.

1 Like

Thank you @everhopeful…I’m considering it but idk yet

1 Like

Why won’t they inject into the hip? The lump goes away faster and the medicine is absorbed better. I’d insist on the hip!

My nurse won’t inject into a lump. We go beside them if we have to. My lumps go down faster since I started massaging them hard once a day from day 1. It hurts but the lump is so much smaller. Wishing you luck!

3 Likes

Not all meds come in injection form

1 Like

Okay, I guess I will just start massaging them and hope they will go down in size and disapere. I didn’t really insist on them injecting it in the hip, maybe next time I will.

2 Likes

@November, @anon4362788, @PinCushion, I hate my Risperdal Consta injections. They hurt sometimes and really bad. But, not most of the time. Anyway they work really well for me.

I always get my injections in the hip because they just hurt too darn bad in the arm. I even refuse to get my injections in my arm. The hip is way more tolerable.

1 Like

Mine don’t hurt much in the hip but the shoulder is painful as heck. Invega hurts more than Risperdone Consta, but that’s because I get the big injection of 234mg.

@November make sure you massage it hard. Good medium strength pushing. It hurts, but you manipulate it and the medicine all gets absorbed into the muscle.

2 Likes

I got shot in the butt with perphenazine many, many years ago. A least you can believe they know what that drug does.

Jayster

1 Like