PTSD or psychosis?

I’m really struggling. It’s been about a month or so that I’ve been really stressed and things are going to keep being rough for at least another month. But stress always seems to make my meds not really work very well. Or maybe my symptoms are PTSD and not schizophrenia related?

I’m hallucinating a lot more, a lot of tactile and the voices are getting really mean. I’m struggling to get anything done. I’m terrified all the time but I don’t really know what I’m scared of. Nightmares are getting really bad.

But how can I tell if it’s just PTSD and I should ramp up therapy, or if it’s schizophrenia and I should increase meds? I made an appointment with my pdoc for tomorrow, so hopefully she can help. I’m just so overwhelmed.

2 Likes

I have both and think its not an either/or scenario but rather both interplaying

4 Likes

@LED - I don’t have any advice for you but I do hope things improve for you. Wishing you all the best.

1 Like

I’ve heard (Propranolol) is a med for ptsd. Talk to your doc.

2 Likes

It’s good you’ll see your pdoc. They can help. Good luck!

1 Like

It only works by keeping your blood pressure and heart rate from spiking with anxiety. I’m already on a lot of heart meds specifically to increase my blood pressure, so meds like that won’t work for me.

1 Like

It’s possible it could be both.

Sometimes I wonder this too.

When I did psychology, the therapist gave me a checklist for various things, and most of the symptoms I ticked

But, there is a lot of overlap

I get the impression the SZ label is given to encompass everything under the sun.

Not sure about you, but I find it confusing sometimes to unpick things

3 Likes

I usually just assume everything related to my trauma is ptsd related and everything else is sz related. But I’ve been in therapy for a long time and I don’t feel like I really have ptsd so much anymore. Or at least not like I used to. But I’m struggling way more right now than I have in many years of it’s ptsd and I just don’t know what to think.

I don’t think I’m delusional at all, though, so probably just ptsd? Ugh. Not that it matters I guess.

It matters a lot, as it would inform treatment

1 Like

Does it though? They usually just add extra antipsychotics regardless of why things are getting bad

This is true. All too true. Is there any way you can try and change the route you’re taking?

Not sure where you are, but it seems if you have SZ to me that they really take a nothing more can be done attitude.

Yeah, I haven’t felt like anyone gives a ■■■■ about trying to actually heal/cure/improve/whatever, no one has actually put any effort into my treatment in over a decade. It’s just here, increase dose, switch med, increase dose, rinse and repeat ad infinitum

I used to take it out on the mental health team, as I was frustrated with all the ‘noise’ and promises they were making and not keeping.

With the help of people here, I realise now that approach was not fair, and plus made things worse.

The way I am going to proceed is by buying books on these things.

Not the best fix, but there is little point waiting for the MH teams to do anything more than they can…

Do you think you’d be able to do this also?

I am not so sure I can, as I have not read a book for years :confused:

2 Likes

I love reading research studies and do quite frequently. But unfortunately my mental health has always taken a backseat to my physical health.

I don’t know about buying books, though. I can’t imagine any single book being worth it over various research on Google scholar.

But you may be on to something with education in general. I’ve always avoided reading anything about schizophrenia for fear that it would make me actually schizophrenic? I’m not altogether convinced that I’m not just faking all this and just don’t want realize it but if I read anything about it and then what if I get more schizophrenic? Then that would be confirmation that I’m definitely making all this up.

I don’t know if that makes any sense. The little guys are good at playing tricks on me and it’s just too likely that they’ve convinced me I’m having this or that symptom even if I’m not.

I think maybe that a book written about coping strategies might be useful

They’re pretty inexpensive on Amazon so might be worth trying one that looks good?

With the scholar articles, it might be more geared to people trying to understand what diagnosis means, as I think it must be hard to know unless you have had issues

Not sure as I have not read many articles - apart from the ones that come on here occasionally.

I wish you luck though in finding a way that helps for you.

Unfortunately all the fancy treatments like psychology are very hard to get

Here you get 10 sessions as standard.

It was not helpful

But, you can’t give up! Try and fight your way through, and I hope that a realisation will come from somewhere that has a big impact on mental state

2 Likes

I’ve been told by an ex child protection consultant that memories come back as you get older. I feel good about this in a way as at least i can then process the trauma I have with memories of the events. But i can see how it could be confused with also having other diagnoses. Sorry you are going through that. Really.

1 Like

I’ve been in therapy for 20+ years. Live in the US and have never had a problem with being discharged. I’m good on coping skills. I’m mostly able to stay out of the hospital lately. I’m just in over my head and have already tried everything. I haven’t emailed my therapist because she’s taking a certification exam on Friday and her schedule is already full this week (I usually see her on Fridays) so I don’t want to add any stress to her plate when there’s nothing she can do about it.

But in your case, absolutely get all the info on coping skills that you can get. I know meditation and mindfulness get thrown around like water lately, but they’re also wildly useful if you actually follow through with practicing and using them. Mindfulness is excellent with pain management, too, if you can figure it out.

Im so sad to hear thats happening to you. Do you know that you can meditate as a walking practice? Just walking i mean. And its the equivalent apparently of weight lifting for an hour to hour. Weird to think this just im so weakened it takes alot to walk alone. I did try buddhist meditation in the past i felt incredibly elated and free. But been in and out of hospital alot so couldnt keep it going. Also for some reasons I dont trust buddhists or mindfulness practice. I tried yoga in the past but get panicked by the darkness in my mind and recall different sense fears of being blacked out. I do enjoy walking though for relief and the self therapy in painting when i can. And writing verse. Hope this helps maybe. I mean painting can be such a relief. Or craft activities. Etc.

Also i heard through consciousness tv on youtube. A speaker said that he thought different hormones were released for males as apposed to females meditating verses shopping for example. Like martial arts historically invented mindfulness practice which was apparently male initiated practices. And increases testosterone in men.

I suggest you open nimbus support thread, so you can place your feelings and thoughts at one place…