PTSD or psychosis?

I’ve always had really good luck with mindfulness. Also I can’t walk. Like, physically, I’m in a wheelchair and my shoulders don’t work very well so distance is impossible for me. But I’ve always had success with breathing exercises and sensory grounding.

1 Like

Thanks but Im too shy for that. And im not arrogantly suggesting things im openly sharing my views free speech. Etc. Sorry if i mistake your meaning. I have trust issues.

Im glad it works for you. Were all different.

I don’t know about you, but for me, I have found my PTSD changes flavors over time. And as life factors change, the symptoms change.

When my life is actively safe and stable, I tend to have heightened anxieties, and get super reflective. I process a lot and get into emotionally deep conversations. I also get those not-quite-hallucinations where you see a small movement and jump at it, or you hear a noise outside and it seems amplified/distorted. My therapist has been with me for a decade and says that those are PTSD related, as opposed to psychosis related. More like how exhausted new parents hear a baby crying when they are trying to sleep, because they’re stressed and intensely focused on listening for a baby crying. Or like how, if you are walking alone, you are extra-aware of potential movement because you’re on guard.

When my life has dangers, I tend to get emotionally flat but with spikes of intense sadness that last an hour or so before disappearing. I become more productive and better at planning, I have difficulty articulating emotions towards others, and turn everything into a silly joke like the class clown. This is the stage when strangers/acquaintances find me the most fun, and also when I tend to annoy the people closest to me.

My best theory is that my body never actually leaves adrenaline mode, and when the adrenaline doesn’t have a specific focus, it generalizes into everything. I have learned to cope by doing things like laser tag, rock climbing, roller coasters. Stuff that gave my adrenaline a place to go. If i didn’t have something like that, I would inevitably wind up doing something extremely risky on purpose. Jump from a moving car, swim to Canada, get into bar brawls… It is much better for me to pick a planned activity that simulates danger.

That makes sense. It’s just hard to separate. And apparently my doctor is more than willing to just chalk it all up to anxiety. I’ve been seeing my son a lot lately because it’s less than a month until his birthday/deathday. But I’m also currently seeing a really ■■■■■■■ creepy guy with a bloody knife that just silently follows me around my apartment and gives me shitty looks if I try to look at him for more than a glance. And as of a few minutes ago the voices went from kind of mean to just one single never ending scream.

My pdoc appt just ended about 15 minutes ago and all she’s doing is increasing my pristiq from 50 to 75. Follow up in a month.

But what’s the point? This all feels so ■■■■■■■ hopeless.

The best treatment is meds and therapy. Do both

I’ve been doing both for more than 20 years

I’m getting really angry and I’m not sure if it’s warranted. I’m just really upset that I tried to ■■■■■■■ get help. Have been on top of all my pdoc appointments and posting myself to actually open up and tell her how bad things are for me and ask she’s ■■■■■■■ done is give me ■■■■■■■ pristiq and then increase the dose. I’m over here terrified to open my eyes or go outside and all she’s got to say is yeah, sounds like anxiety. See you in a month.

What the ■■■■■■■ hell is that ■■■■? I’m so pissed. I already emailed my therapist.

Headed to the ER

1 Like

Sounds like a good idea. I hope you get some more concrete help there.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.