Psychotic.......And

what does that word mean to you

1 Like

it is a word created by the psychiatric community to describe something that they don’t even understand. :imp:
take care :alien:

2 Likes

A technical term meaning, “cannot meet the standards of ‘reality testing’ according to a number of psychometric tests proven to be reliable indicators of one’s ability to perceive events in the environment as they are.”

2 Likes

Psychotic patients and everyone else in the world see things as they are, not as they are.

1 Like

Oooo. Very well said.

AND you have illuminated an issue much discussed among old graybeards like moi in the academic world: Which is… often stated thus: "Isn’t the ability to see, hear, feel and otherwise sense and then interpret what comes through the senses measurable along a spectrum or range from something like “completely off-base” through “culturally acceptable but still not really accurate” to “totally accurate but only in a given moment of observation?

2 Likes

Haha. Thanks, but I stole it from my man Rohr.

psychotic means to me, hell from my mind.

1 Like

I read (most) of a book that said what people with psychosis experience is not necessarily invalid, but simply goes against “consensus reality”, but is still a reality of its own. I agree to the point that what is experienced in psychosis is very real to the individual and should not be thrown out as simply psychotic but rather explored. To me psychotic is a dismissive term to brush away the real experiences of a few in order to make the majority (consensus) more comfortable. Does that make sense?

2 Likes

It means my cheese is sliding off my cracker. Time to get some medical help.

Pixel.

2 Likes

That is exactly how it feels to me, in the moment, every time. That sense of betrayal, as if my experience is not as valuable as someone else’s and should be silenced. Ugh.

Afterwards I’m usually more like “ooh yeah, I was psychotic, heh…” and I feel confused, angry, and ashamed.

It’s not that I don’t like the word. It’s a perfectly apt description, the same that notmoses gave. It’s a functional and useful word. It’s not ugly.

But sometimes it’s used in ugly ways – dismissive hospital staff / doctors, judgmental relatives, resentful spouses or partners. Coming from those mouths, it stings.

3 Likes

Your new avatar is silly. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll have you know that it’s a symbol of my faith:

Now let us all bow our heads…

Pixel.

3 Likes

Sorry, I actually am a vegan, and I am against the consumption of animals. It makes me feel sick and sad…
I just thought it was funny that you had a fast-food logo as your avatar.

You need to separate what is real and what is just the result of your illness. Holding on to psychotic “experiences” as if they were real can only hold you back from getting better.

3 Likes

sometimes it’s hard to distinguish between real and fake. When i’m really paranoid sometimes I can’t tell between my thoughts and thoughts insertion,

I agree with you, and I’m trying. I guess I don’t want to throw it all away because it coincides with my faith, but getting rid of what does not make any sense, like when an angel tells me to hurt myself, and what is destructive to myself, my life, and people around me is the goal.

I love Zinger burgers!! (Bows head)

True, letting go of my delusions is been hard, but the longer I hold on to them the worse it is for me.

To me- psychotic means losing touch with “reality” and not being sure what is real,
but what is- reality ?
Similar to- truth, reality seems to be subjective and debatable.