Psych ward art

Post anything you’ve drawn while hospitalized.

This is something I did to represent Wonderland. I felt like I was Alice, lol.

14 Likes

I’ve probably destroyed most of the psyche ward art. the last one I have was a sketch I drew this past year of what the perfect mental hospital would look like…it has an indoor swimming pool…

7 Likes

Looks good. That’s way better than anything I could do. I didn’t draw anything or do any kind of psych ward art.

When I was in the psych ward there was a colouring book and I coloured in a few of the pictures when I was bored but I don’t have a copy of them.

1 Like

I wouldn’t have survived the psyche ward if I didn’t have paper and pens…a pencil and a notebook.

Mine gave paper and pencils.

I made a light yellow heart with red and pink flowers in it.

Then I made three smaller hearts. The first one said my husband’s initial in red, the second had the “&” / ampersand sign in purple (I think it was purple), and the last one said my initial in pink. So, the initials matched the red and pink flowers.

Then I glued mine and hubby’s initials (plus the “&”) in the middle of the bigger yellow heart. It’s on the fridge. :relaxed: :yellow_heart: I made it in 2019, when I was hospitalized.

1 Like

Around here you aren’t allowed pens, pencils (unless they are bendy) they allow you crayons and that’s about it

3 Likes

heres a drawing like one i did in the psych ward

7 Likes

I wish i remember what i said to the guy who was looking over my shoulder when i was drawing this with color pencils, something like “this is the material semiotics of the sign and its methaphorical relation to our bodies that is subconscious but is the implicit threat of not following the rules of the road”.

1 Like

I generally did not participate in the group activities in the psyche ward. I usually opted out so I have no art to share :frowning_face_with_open_mouth:. My art sucks anyway, so you wouldn’t want to see it :stuck_out_tongue:.

1 Like

I haven’t been to a psych ward that does art therapy in like 15/20 years. All the art I’ve done I’ve done on my own time.

Oh, this wasn’t in therapy. Was just was bored.

I made this pronouns bracelet in the psych ward. I have some cool drawings but don’t wanna dig them out

3 Likes

Painting from a closed ward unit. I tried to paint “the interior of my head”

Excellent thread @ZombieMombie , “mad pictures” or “art brut” is fascinating.

9 Likes

From wiki:

Outsider art is art by self-taught or naïve art makers. Typically, those labeled as outsider artists have little or no contact with the mainstream art world or art institutions. In many cases, their work is discovered only after their deaths. Often, outsider art illustrates extreme mental states, unconventional ideas, or elaborate fantasy worlds.

The term outsider art was coined by art critic Roger Cardinal in 1972 as an English synonym for art brut (French: [aʁ bʁyt], “raw art” or “rough art”), a label created by French artist [Jean Dubuffet]

(Jean Dubuffet - Wikipedia) to describe art created outside the boundaries of official culture; Dubuffet focused particularly on art by those on the outside of the established art scene, using as examples psychiatric hospital patients and children.[1][2]

I never drew anything from scratch, mostly colored in those spirograph looking pattern pictures.

I really want to participate here, but everything I drew has something to do with Jesus and Satan or both. :cry:

1 Like

I painted a mandala in the hospital.

Mine was four sided rather than six sided. Schizophrenic mandalas tend to be quaternary as opposed to other folks’ art whose tend to be six sided mandalas.

My art skills usually suffer when I go to the ward, maybe from being subdued by heavier meds than usual.

I know the importance if art is the pleasure you take from creating it, but I take more pleasure in creating as good art as I know I’m capable of.

I don’t have any art myself from the times I was in hospital, but I really like yours. Love the little catapillar smoking on the mushroom.