Hello! I’m fairly new to this site. I was recently diagnosed with Schizoaffective, bipolar type about a month ago. I was okay with the bipolar but it felt odd because I never thought I would have schizo symptoms but after much research, I’ve concluded that I did have some of the symptoms. Mostly auditory hallucinations and delusions. However, after explaining to my therapist about my hallucinations, she told me that everyone has those “thoughts”. I felt really bad because I thought I actually had an answer to my confusing life. So I’m going to describe some of my symptoms and maybe I could get different opinions!
- I believe I have superpowers that God gave me
- I have two main “people” in my brain. One is the good guy and One is the bad guy.
- Both have a particular voice. The good guy makes the good decisions while the bad guy gives me irrational thoughts such as suicide and words of low self-worth.
- I attach special meaning to events with religious imagery or objects
- I have body dysmorphia as well which makes me believe I’m a specific body size even though people tell me it’s not true.
- I talk to these people in my head and they make most of my decisions. I also talk to God and He respond as well.
- Sometimes, the evil voice tells me to kill myself and encourages my depression.
- I respond well to antipsychotics. Currently taking abilify and Prozac for depression. I am having less conversations with the people in my head and making my own decisions rather than looking for the voices.
It’s pretty common to get misdiagnosed but if I don’t have Schizoaffective disorder, what could it be? Just bipolar with psychosis? The reason I don’t believe i have schizophrenic symptoms is because my grandiose delusions or “voices” are not as severe or interfering as others. I can still function. Just not when I’m at my depressive low. That’s when Ed (the evil guy) gets loud and it’s hard to shut off.