Poll: How is the state of your teeth?

Last time I went to the dentist, they injected novacaine into a vein in my mouth on accident and my whole head went numb from the upper neck up. My head felt like it was spinning and everything sounded like I was listening through paper cups. This lasted for an hour before it started fading. I didn’t even get a refund for that appointment screwup. No lasting damage, so I couldn’t sue.

Needless to say, that was my last dentist appointment ever. Even if I lose my teeth, I’d rather gum food for the rest of my life than ever go back.

Prior, I have had bad luck with my teeth. Had 2 baby teeth pulled (molars) when I was 6 or 7 because of a massive cavity between them. Had 2 top molars pulled to ‘make space for my front teeth’ because I had an overbite which I needed braces for 4 years for. Bottom front teeth are overcrowded and thus crooked. My top wisdom teeth grew in perfectly, but my bottoms had trouble (though I still have them). Finally, 4 fillings (I think), all molars. I don’t brush my teeth very often so more problems are bound to pop up.

I thought a phobia was an irrational fear of something, can one have a dentist phobia? I don’t think that is possible really.

I can remember getting six teeth pulled for braces way back, that ■■■■ hurt, i just wouldn’t call it a phobia.

Seems like my good genes went to my teeth as I’m 26 and have never had a cavity or anything, and the bad genes went to my brain :wink:

thanks for the topic. My teeth are ok but I need a check up. I have been planning a check up now and thinking about getting x-rays and my teeth worked on

i have very poor theeth.
besides al the acidic drinks, the medication. and poor care.
i brush like crazy 3 times a day, and too hard.

it sometimes happens that theeth break off.
so its in a state of decay

And i have heard that the state of your theeth also affects you mental health.

Haven’t been to dentist in 11 years… last time I had a cavity filled they did it a new way…chair so far back my head was almost upside down, clips and a rubber dental dam in my throat that made me feel like i was choking and I almost flipped out claustrophobic…
Since then I’ve lost about 4 or 5 teeth (all but 1 in the back), let the pain come, use Ibuprofen and ambesol…I kinda learned how to endure and let the nerve die, then break off the bad part and keep the part attached to the root that is usually very sharp, so i still have those teeth and am able to use them.

I knew a girl who lost some teeth in her early 40s and she made good money and had good insurance so she had all the rest pulled and got permanent dentures… she loved it and said she would recommend that for anyone who was missing a few teeth and it was well worth it because no more having to get fillings or teeth pulled or endure pain if you let them break off themselves…
I wouldn’t mind doing that if I could afford to, and they make dentures now that are both affordable and look decent…not like those fake wooden looking ones like my grandma had, LOL

1 Like

Current city has a dental hygeneists clinic so I can get a cleaning, inspect by real dentist and xrays for $30. It takes 3 hours sometimes but at least there are options. The dental school next door will do work for fraction of cost if anything else needs to be done.