Poll: Do you think antipsychotics caused emotional numbness in you? v2

• Yes a lot
  • Yes Some
  • Yes just a little
  • no

0 voters

1 Like

My view is it depends on the drug and you as a person.

This is continued from a necro thread and I’m interested in this topic

There is definitely some emotional blunting when you take these medications, or at least that’s how i feel. For example - i no longer feel stress, anger or agitation as bad as i used to. I’m a lot more mellow, relaxed and easy going. However, there are times when i just don’t feel much please in things, so there’s a downside as well.

I voted No. AP’s calmed me down quite a bit, but I’m not emotionless.

Yes! Without a doubt. At least the typical ap’s do. Geodon and Seroquel don’t do that.

This always confuses me as you read online about negative symptoms, but then also this thread talks about it being the drugs causing it.

No, not at all. Not from any of the ones I’ve been on, really (Seroquel, Zyprexa, Abilify).

Yes, all of them, and strongly. It did get a bit better since I’m on a very low dose, but some of the damage i fear was permanent. Strong emotional blunting was one of the reasons I kept/keep on quitting meds. Taking them feels horrible. I feel blunting emotions and thoughts is actually their main mechanism by which they work in me - it is not as if I have less crazy thoughts, i just have less thoughts in general and feel less scared about them.

Well at my last pdoc appointment my stepdaughter said I was very flat emotionally . Prior to the Consta I had had an intense reaction to negative stimuli and a blunted reaction to positive stimuli. Now both are rather blunted . I get very occasional slight reactions to negative stimuli but nothing like I used to get.

From what my pdoc said it appeared to be an effect of the Consta . I’m now on Paliperidone which is almost the same so not expecting much change on that score.

I’m as well emotionally flat. Don’t know if it is the illness or the medication or just me.

I’m flat.
I can’t figure out if I was always like that, or if the drugs made it worse.
I think to some extent, I was always a bit numb/flat, but after I got on AP’s, I’ve stopped crying. I have a good cry maybe once a year, tops. It’s kind of frustrating. Sure, it keeps my rage from bubbling up, and my happiness from clouding my judgement, but I really miss being able to let loose and have feelings.

I voted Yes, some

it’s taken a lot of work to feel love or hate

general malaise.

Yes, enough to make me malfunction socially. Now that I’m off AP I feel much better.

I don’t believe so. My DPDR is to blame for that.

Until recently i was on 140 mg of Latuda and i was very flat emotionally. My pdoc lowered the dosage to 120 mg and the flatness has greatly subsided. So i voted yes, some.

At first yes…but after 9 years I’m not numb anymore.

I was a cry baby until my psychosis, then I cried even harder and with deeper sadness with everything. It could be cuz people got HIV, or cuz people made wrong choices, but nothing related to me.
But for the last 6 years I didn’t cried a single time, even when I had a “girlfriend” crying cuz she was about to leave and she didn’t wanted to be the last time to see me, I’ve felt a heartless person when I couldn’t show any sadness.

For me I think it isn’t the meds, it’s the illness, although I said it was the meds I just wanted to say that I’m emotional numb for a few years…:frowning:

Do you take AD?

its a fine line.

If I’m overmedicated I drool a bit.

If I’m undermedicated I see shadow people.

Both are not fun.

What did u mean by AD? If it was anti depressives I did those for 8 years, I was misdiagnosed with depression on the beginning and I had a lot of therapy to fight it…