Poll: Can you work?

Hello, I had opened a thread about how many of you have lack of motivation or not. Now I just want to see how many of you can work, to know if it’s my fault that I can’t work or it is the medicines. So, how many of you can work, and if you like, you can write about what kind of work you can do.

• I can work
  • I cannot work

I work but only casual hours

1 Like

I used to work, but no longer can

1 Like

@Wave how it is that you could work and now you can’t? I could never work and I can’t now either, although I desperately want to become indepedent. Is it something that changed your mood, is it your medicines that you can’t, or is it something else you think?

Hi Rose - I havent worked in years now.
I used to be able to work, but my illness got worse and the stress got to me, I could no longer work.
I can no longer tolerate stress - work is stressful - even small tasks become mountains!

3 Likes

That’s exactly how I’ ve felt for years, now, Wave. As a friend of mine wrote somewhere, (he has a severe physical illness) we struggle with very important things, and we can’t face simple, everyday things like having a simple job or some even shower themselves! I don’t know what to do, I wish I had never been born since I would have to face this illness!

Hang in there Rose - But you are right, this illness does suck big time!
Your situation may improve - you never know.
All I do know is that the meds keep me functioning - without them I would certainly be Hospitalized for a long time

I agree, Wave, is just that I want my indepedency and all my life I have been stable, I have had both positive and negative symptoms up to a level that I can take care of myself, but not work. But I can’t live this way anymore, I want to have a life with all it includes, so, I keep searching for solutions if there are any. :confused: Thanks for your help though!!

2 Likes

I have to force myself to do this. It works as a distraction for me. I don’t really work for the money, I just do it to give me something else to think about other than myself, as I find when I have nothing to focus on I am just left with the symptoms. It has is downfall though as it makes me so tired I do little else but lay in bed or go on my laptop for the rest of the time. I am not sure how much longer I can carry on, but I will try as hard as I can to kept it together and keep winging it.

4 Likes

I can’t because technologically unemployed, but work is for peasants anyway

Do any of you talk about your lack of ability to hold a job down to your therapists or pdocs? If you have what do they say?

1 Like

maybe i can, idk for sure, if i do it will be a hard thing for me,

was thinking of collecting trolleys through supported permitted work,

i need to be cautious though, i dont want to get my benefits money stopped

its going to be therapeutic anyway

1 Like

maybe you can get some help and support, there must be something you can do, cut some hours or something, i was only ever going to do what i felt comfortable with, it would be flexible bc i wouldnt want it to make me feel worse, suited to me needs.

I haven’t talked to my therapist about it, I will talk about it tomorrow.

I think you’re right. Do you think I should let HR know? I told my manager off the record and my mum knows who got me the job. It’s just at the moment I am making mistakes all the time and having to check my own work over and over to make sure its done right. The other thing is I have trouble dealing with the people and we have misunderstandings about very basic things sometimes that really bothers me.

1 Like

Please keep me updated if you wouldn’t mind. I’ve been thinking of talking about it in more depth with my pdoc

1 Like

if you have stresses and strains in the work place i think you should talk to someone about it, maybe you can get through this with some help, maybe you just need a little extra support to help you deal with it.

I voted “cannot work” as I would need a host of factors to come into play- (a) would need to be near home (b) would need to be non competitive and pressurised © require little initiative (d) require little or no manual/practical skills. (e) minimal social interaction skills.

4 Likes

I can’t work because of extremely poor sleep, I feel poor motivation and little desire to interact with people at the level most work requires. It can even seem painful at times. I can’t remember the years since poor sleep commenced they seem a gray expanse stretching into the past. I do know that nearly all work requires at least some attention, the clarity of which seems to decline for me.

1 Like

I work but it sucks to have a badass manager who keeps imposing his desicions.
I would not mind working more hours but with a better manager.

1 Like